MODERN SPORTING RIFLES aka Assault rifles.

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: MODERN SPORTING RIFLES aka Assault rifles.

Post by captkeyser »

After everything I have read, it doesn't seem to me that Gumbo has a REAL beef with it at all. He, like myself, are interested in hearing from both sides, to form and opinion. It is obvious that many on hear have already formed one and that is fantastic. Some of us have not come to a conclusion on this topic, and there ain't a dang thing wrong with that either. Beating up on a guy for asking a question isn't helping anyone's cause, neither yours or his. Lose lose. Round and round we go. :roll:

I have enjoyed reading this thread as there have been some excellent points made. Still on the fence here. :thumbup:
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I will remind SOME here why I fight so venomously!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffI-tWh37UY

To think they want anything but an outright ban on guns is just DUMB thinking. They have the agenda to disarm us all. You can not see that any plainer than this video....

They will TELL you they just want background checks, they will TELL you they just want big clips banned, they will TELL you they just want to ban black guns.....but the truth is in her words, plain and simple!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

The rate of gun deaths in Australia, which has very restrictive gun laws, is one tenth of the same in the United States.

From 2000 - 2010, there were over 111,000 murders from firearms in the United States. About 20,000 from knives. A little over 7,000 from blunt force trauma.

This information excludes Florida because the State does not submit its information to the FBI database.

I respectfully suggest that I am not a sheeple following the liberatard media but someone who is gathering hard facts and opinions before I come to my own conclusion.

Have a great Sunday.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Here Gumbo, chew on this!

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state ... 6168a.html

Also, remember, Australia does not have the thug population we have here. If you will research FBI stats, you will see who the BIG gun killers are here in the USA. (Hint: It ain't the white redneck gun lovers)

The liberals have let the animals run wild here in this country. Now we have a Zoo!

I also would like to add that about 90% of the murders I read about locally, the perps were convicted felons anyway, and it was against the law for them to have a gun! So much for "gun laws".

Last edited by Dubble Trubble on September 8th, 2013, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Gumbo wrote:The rate of gun deaths in Australia, which has very restrictive gun laws, is one tenth of the same in the United States.

From 2000 - 2010, there were over 111,000 murders from firearms in the United States. About 20,000 from knives. A little over 7,000 from blunt force trauma.

This information excludes Florida because the State does not submit its information to the FBI database.

I respectfully suggest that I am not a sheeple following the liberatard media but someone who is gathering hard facts and opinions before I come to my own conclusion.

Have a great Sunday.
Yet 95% of those gun murders were NOT assault rifles. Most were handguns. Yet, the government is going after the assault rifle. WHY? Because that is the one weapon that would be effective against a tyranical government! THINK man......Don't be another sheep!

Also, from 2000-2010, there were about 400,000 people killed in automobiles....many of those children killed by drunk drivers with those "assault cars"

Any comments on that?

bman

Post by bman »

Wolfeman showed me they work on hogs!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Wow. Thugs. Animals. Rednecks do no wrong. See what's happening here.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Gumbo wrote:Wow. Thugs. Animals. Rednecks do no wrong. See what's happening here.

Yep, Sure do. You are a liberal bleeding heart tree hugger that has come on here just like thay all do, supposedly with an "open" mind wanting advice. It is VERY clear to me you already have your mind made up.

You are and have been a lawyer, and to come on here with a little boy like attitude of " I can't make my mind up about guns" is preposterous!

Go somewhere where gullible folks speak!

Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Thanks for the additional insults. I am not a "little boy," sir. I'm actually a fairly large boy. I do hug trees, swim around in our local waters, am currently representing two organizations trying to save oystering in the bay and am damn proud of it. Do you not enjoy the outdoors? I came in seeking input and tried to engage in a debate. I have facts on both sides, none of which involve calling people "animals."
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

The murder rates are per capita, not just raw numbers. See, that accounts for the difference in population. Per 100,000 population, we have ten times the amount of murders by weapons than Australia. Perhaps that was your oversight.

Most of Chicago's guns come from out of state. Many from Virginia.

I am no sheeple, sir. I am very careful about where I step.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

Gumbo wrote:The murder rates are per capita, not just raw numbers. See, that accounts for the difference in population. Per 100,000 population, we have ten times the amount of murders by weapons than Australia. Perhaps that was your oversight.

Most of Chicago's guns come from out of state. Many from Virginia.

I am no sheeple, sir. I am very careful about where I step.
I don't think comparing what is happening in other countries makes a good argument either way. The Swiss are awash in assault style rifles as well as other guns and they have a very low murder rate. If Chicago criminals couldn't get their guns from other states, do you really think that would stop them from finding other sources? Hard drugs are outlawed in Chicago, but do you really think that has stopped drug use and availability? Taking guns away from law abiding citizens makes little sense when they cannot keep them out of the hands of felons with the laws that they have already made. Perhaps if they started executing felons caught in possession of a firearm, that might have an effect on criminal gun use, but you know that isn't going to happen. So they figure lets take them away from law abiding citizens and that will lower the amount of guns that criminals could possibly get their hands on, but doing that would only end up leaving the law abiding citizens even more vulnerable to the criminals. Like I said, look at drug laws and how effective they have been in lowering drug use. A drug user is breaking the law already. Will he not possess a gun because it's against the law? Will he then not use that gun to get money to buy his illegal drugs? If laws worked felons wouldn't have guns in the first place, and the drugs they want wouldn't be available. Common sense says that making more laws, especially laws that target law abiding citizens, will not take a single gun from the criminals beyond those the current laws are already taking. Because of that you have to wonder what it is they are really after, and when you think about that, if it occurs to you what they could really be up to by keeping guns out of the hands of citizens, you'll understand why so many are not willing to give up a single weapon.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Gumbo wrote:Mr. Ducker, I sure wish you could avoid the bashing. Happens every time I come on here and ask for input. And always from you. This Country was founded, in part, on the right to debate, discuss and disagree. Respectfully. Frankly, I think you might want to review the rules of the forum.

And I do understand the Constitution, sir, and there are no absolutes as you assert. Many weapons can be legally licensed. The question I asked is which of those should be.

I've stayed away from the site for a while because of this attitude but thought I could get some valuable input on an issue of great importance from people with strong views and deep knowledge. I got tons - thanks everyone for that - but also got your unnecessary insults.

If you do not like our government, keep voting. That's what the Founding Fathers would want.

Good day.
Gumbo, you are asking about a Constitutional Right as though your discussion of the same will somehow affect my Constitutional rights. That does not get high marks from me at all and it reflects an ignorance of Constitutional rights that is not just yours, but unfortunately with this generation of folks, many, because they are being brain washed by liberal progressive educators. They want to lie and say our Constitution is a "living" document. It is not and never has been.

The 2nd Amendment is absolute in the respect of a citizen's right to maintain the weaponry necessary to defend against a tyrannical government. The only erosion has been with respect to carrying weapons in public, not in maintaining weapons on your property. Good men died to insure these rights.

Our Founding Fathers already debated this issue and they voted to insure that we as Americans always had the right to defend ourselves from governmental tyranny. A tyranny we are experiencing today in the form of a President who ignores the Constitution.

I do not like our present administration or the mindset among young people. I am sorry that you don't like my style of debate. You need to study early political debate and you will learn that my style is mild in comparison. I will continue to exercise my right vote as I have for 50 years.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I was under the impression that the whole motivation behind the ban/control of "assault weapons", was in response to mass killings and woundings that have taken place in the US, mainly at educational establishments.
Not anything relating to the day to day criminals, but the one-off crazies that carry out these atrocities.
Assuming these people had no access to guns, they would use other means at their disposal, ie explosives, fire, poisons, vehicles, etc.
The logic starts to fall apart at this point.

The same can be said for criminal usage of these weapons.
Make them illegal and the only people owning them will be criminals , not only be definition but because of their other criminal activities.
In the UK handguns are illegal, so the only people that have them are the "Authorities" and the criminals.
That didn't work too well.

There should probably be some tightening up of the US licensing procedures, to try to avoid the wrong people owning licensed weapons, but no system is foolproof.
The UK has what are categorised as strict gun laws and controls, but we have still had our share of atrocities, carried out by people with licensed/legal, as well as unlicensed/illegal weapons.

Making laws that are unenforceable, or unnecessary , is not good Government.