cobia off the lighthouse

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: cobia off the lighthouse

Post by tallykenj »

Wow. Awesome. How deep?
The Back Porch
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

I'll take it from here Jimmy! I arrived at the lighthouse around 6. And Bigphisy and Galantnole had a nice livewell of baits ready for action. We headed back out to the same secret spot Jimmy mentioned earlier. Upon arrival these two clowns immediately grab jigs and start tossing, I'm still trying to locate structure and find a good place to anchor. We anchored for about fifteen minutes and decided to rreach or. Got setup real well the second time and deploed some chum! I pick up the Thunnis CI4 6000 and toss a free line out the back with the biggest pin in livewell. Only took about two minutes and I was hooked up!! Drag was smooth and screaming, so we tossed the anchor float over and chase this beast down. About 15 minutes of fighting and a couple missed gaff attempts and over comes a beautiful 40 inch cobia, or as Bigphishy was saying ,chobia! Hahaha.
IMG_20150504_191206_874.jpg
After the excitement I got another pin out and went back to free lining. Same deal, about two or three minutes go by and I'm hooked up again! Decent fight but no match for the Thunnis. Here's a pic of my second chobia. This one went back as we now have three keepers in the cooler.
IMG_20150504_193855_112.jpg
Went back for round three and was not dissapointed. This one slapped me in the face!
IMG_20150504_193832_111.jpg
IMG_20150504_193902_521.jpg
Had a fantastic couple hours of fishing and back at the lighthouse by 830. Had to drive the trailer to the fort as the was not enough water to get the boat out at the lighthouse...
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Words for the wise... be a bit cautious sharing too much information on secret spots you have. Made that mistake a time or two, only to soon thereafter find heavy traffic beating me to said spots, and even the times I arrived first having other boats arrive at distant offshore spots using my bouy marker to allow them to anchor / drift back just a few yards off my stern... and even ask me if I was big bend gyrene on bigbendfishing.net, and some of the spots where I was found WEREN'T public numbers. :smt009 There's a reason (make that plural "reasons") that ol' timers on the board often blur the background on their pictures / don't get too specific on offshore locations. Public number or not, you share too much info it sure will become a lot MORE public, and that goes for every day of the week too. Just sayin'. Congrats on the solid cobia report. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

Amen! about giving out too much information. By the way don't post a picture of your boat. I liked what Capt. Dave said get YOU a couple of maps and STUDY them. He did it and he didn't run down other boats and steal their spots from them. That's why they call this thing fishing.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

I carry a water balloon slingshot and launch them from The Back Porch. Anybody that gets near me gets wet.
The Back Porch
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

big bend gyrene wrote:Words for the wise... be a bit cautious sharing too much information on secret spots you have. Made that mistake a time or two, only to soon thereafter find heavy traffic beating me to said spots, and even the times I arrived first having other boats arrive at distant offshore spots using my bouy marker to allow them to anchor / drift back just a few yards off my stern... and even ask me if I was big bend gyrene on bigbendfishing.net, and some of the spots where I was found WEREN'T public numbers. :smt009 There's a reason (make that plural "reasons") that ol' timers on the board often blur the background on their pictures / don't get too specific on offshore locations. Public number or not, you share too much info it sure will become a lot MORE public, and that goes for every day of the week too. Just sayin'. Congrats on the solid cobia report. :thumbup: :beer:
Dang I just about had those clouds geo-located via Google Earth with the NSA boat recognition add-in co-locating with all public numbers in the area. Guess I'll have to do it the hard way... :smt010 By the way are any of these JT's holes? :-D
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
big bend gyrene

zload wrote:By the way are any of these JT's holes? :-D
4 miles or so out of St. Marks falls within the Gulf of Mexico, right? Yep, one of JT's claimed holes. ;-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

tallykenj wrote:I carry a water balloon slingshot and launch them from The Back Porch. Anybody that gets near me gets wet.
:thumbup:

Strangest thing I ever experienced had me spitting fire mad at first but then so confused anger turned to head scratching. Had stealthily poled for a quarter mile or so to a secret oyster bar somewhere between 100 yards to four miles or so offshore from the Econfina mouth (showing some of the younger guys how the embellishment should be done with that one :wink: ) when a guy BLAZES IN WIDE OPEN THROTTLE within inches of the bar that we're casting to it, shuts off his engine... and JUMPS IN. Memory serves he had either his wife or girlfriend with him and he kept coming up for breaths complaining about how he couldn't find what he had lost. Gave up at some point, jumped in, and motored off without shouting a single word of apology to us. If it was anybody on the board, might not want to admit it as I still can't help but wonder if a gold band was lost that might have been removed for all the wrong reasons... :lol:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

zload wrote:
big bend gyrene wrote:Words for the wise... be a bit cautious sharing too much information on secret spots you have. Made that mistake a time or two, only to soon thereafter find heavy traffic beating me to said spots, and even the times I arrived first having other boats arrive at distant offshore spots using my bouy marker to allow them to anchor / drift back just a few yards off my stern... and even ask me if I was big bend gyrene on bigbendfishing.net, and some of the spots where I was found WEREN'T public numbers. :smt009 There's a reason (make that plural "reasons") that ol' timers on the board often blur the background on their pictures / don't get too specific on offshore locations. Public number or not, you share too much info it sure will become a lot MORE public, and that goes for every day of the week too. Just sayin'. Congrats on the solid cobia report. :thumbup: :beer:
Dang I just about had those clouds geo-located via Google Earth with the NSA boat recognition add-in co-locating with all public numbers in the area. Guess I'll have to do it the hard way... :smt010 By the way are any of these JT's holes? :-D
:smt005 :smt005 zload that's great.!!!
I bet it rhymes with bog dallard
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I wish it was as close as "bog dallard!" We did stop by there and motored around and even trolled a bit to no avail.. so we went elsewhere. How far from there? Well... Idk Somewhere between. 1 and 1 milllllion feet away! Lol. It was a helluva trip. BigPhishi and I, in between ol milto leaving and rainman getting there, headed up river to get some lunch at Riverside... for the first time in years the service and food was good... and their new tiki hut is pretty nice!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I spoke to Bigphishy today about a reel he needs worked on. He told me where the super secret spot is. I am taking bids.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Got this one at my super-duper secret spot Saturday...Yup, they're here...

"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I knew that was your boat out there, woopty!!! Glad you got on them too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: Couldn't figure out how to delete so here's a beer for everyone!
Last edited by milto on May 6th, 2015, 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

woopty wrote:Got this one at my super-duper secret spot Saturday...Yup, they're here...
Woopty, you forgot to color in the background! It looks like you caught this one from shore!! :smt005 :smt005