Best spinning Reel for +-$120

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Just a Guest

Re: Best spinning Reel for +-$120

Post by Just a Guest »

Thanks for the post! I'm done Christmas shopping for my father now. Picked him up a new NASCI 3000 from Kevin's yesterday. I fish with a STRADIC, but I'm jealous for some reason... Thinking I may have to go back and get one for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Ok, this is my last post on this subject. I am a big Shimano fan for my personal fishing equipment. In my reel repair business they are the most supportive of my parts suppliers. I recently received a flash drive with reel and parts schematics not available to everyone yet. I looked up the NASCI series of reels, since I have not had a chance to view the insides of one. There are a few things that make me very happy from a durability standpoint.
I fish Stradics a lot. I like the way they perform and feel. The spool oscillating system("fluid drive") is very smooth and efficient in my opinion. It uses a worm gear and pawl like the level wind on a baitcaster. Many others use a gear and slider system, as does the NASCI and Symetre. See the highlighted portions of the following schematics.

Stradic:
15STC3HGFK.pdf
(223.59 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
NASCI:
16NASC3HGFB.pdf
(182.24 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
A few things about the NASCI should be noted. There are bearings on both sides of the main gear and water resistant shields on the side plates to protect those bearings. In addition there are bearings above and below the gear teeth of the pinion gear. This adds support to that gear. There is a "waterproof" shield for the roller clutch(anti reverse) that does not exist on either the Symetre or Stradic. In addition there is an O-ring under the roller clutch to help keep water away from the pinion bearings.
One of the biggest weak points and main repair complaints I get on all Shimano reels is the line roller bearing corrodes and makes noise when line is retrieved. The NASCI utilizes a bushing assembly instead and this should reduce or eliminate that altogether.
It uses the low profile drag knob that is on the new Stradics. This helps reduce wind knots.

All in all, it looks like the NASCI is a very solid reel. At $100-$110 I might need to add one or two to my loaner inventory.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Fishinfool check your messages
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

2Salty wrote:
MIAcanes44 wrote:
2Salty wrote:
MIAcanes44 wrote:I have two Penn Battles. One sounds like a grain mill and the other is smooth. I also have a Penn Conflict ($129.99 ) that I am really impressed with. I have had it for 3 years now and not a single problem. I must agree with others though. The NASCI looks and feels nice but, its too new to know how they will hold up.
"Sounds like a grain mill" Have you torn down this reel for cleaning and lubrication? Or had this reel serviced?
Not yet. It has been sitting on a shelf for 5 months now waiting to get repaired.
5 months? Really? Seriously?

What is your normal and typical reel care and maintenance protocol?
I am too cheap to buy the reel care and maintenance protocol book from bass pro. Would you like to share? My protocol is if it doesn't work properly then leave it at the house and grab one of the other seven rod and reels I have. Besides, the last reel I had repaired didn't last long so I am in no hurry.

Penn Battle for sale $75 - Barely used and works like new. LOL.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
bbb

Post by bbb »

MIAcanes44 wrote:
I am too cheap to buy the reel care and maintenance protocol book from bass pro. My protocol is if it doesn't work properly then leave it at the house and grab one of the other seven rod and reels I have.
We might be related to each other.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

My friend with Fisherman's Paradise in Valdosta does an excellent job of cleaning and repair. I let him look first and if he don't want to clean it, I chunk it!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

MIAcanes44 wrote:I am too cheap to buy the reel care and maintenance protocol book from bass pro. Would you like to share?
Immediately after an outing upon returning home:

1. tighten down drag (so when flushing/rinsing no salt residue or grit gets deeper into reel). From a spray bottle with a solution of SaltAway (or other) spray reel. After about 15 minutes, gently rinse reel thoroughly with hose. Allow reel to air-dry and/or wipe excess moisture from reel with cloth/towel. When dry, loosen drag to allow internal drag system to dry out.

2. If reel operates smoothly then leave it be. If reel doesn't operate smoothly, lubricate as per manufacturer's direction.

3. Every 3 months tear down reel for cleaning/inspection, especially if reel doesn't behave.

It stands to reason that the more a reel costs the better the components the greater the longevity (or at least that's not an unreasonable expectation) "should" be. That said, less expensive reels will last longer with routine care/maintenance. Also, one should not assume that a reel of relatively greater expense will withstand longer intervals between care/maintenance. Nor should one assume a failed reel, regardless of purchase price, is the result of a manufacturer's flaw. More often than not a failed reel is the result of owner neglect.

If one has the level of disposable income to neglect reels then simply with the inoperable and/or dysfunctional ones dispose of them or put them aside indefinitely then so be it. Not all anglers have such opportunity or luxury. Nor can all anglers afford the upper end of reel pricing.

And it doesn't take very much effort or time to find locally some organization that gladly will accept pre-owned fishing reels in various conditions (as well as other fishing gear) for "fishing for kids" causes.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

2Salty - I know this guy, he's got too much much money to spend his time doing this. He'll just throw them on his "shelf" and grab another $300 reel... Us frugal folk will take advantage of this finely thought out protocol though. Thanks!
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

2Salty wrote:If one has the level of disposable income to neglect reels then simply with the inoperable and/or dysfunctional ones dispose of them or put them aside indefinitely then so be it. Not all anglers have such opportunity or luxury. Nor can all anglers afford the upper end of reel pricing.

yea, he must have money to burn - some folks.... he's all about "upper end" :lol:
mattieya

Post by mattieya »

I, too, had this inquiry for years. Heard many responses. Found this article/review on the Diawa BG, did some research on the author, and was sold. I Purchased the 3000 in October. Am definitely returning for the 2500 - the spool on the 3000 is big, and the drag on the 2500 is plenty. I haven't been able put it to great use yet, other than some puppy reds and a sizey sailcat that allowed me to experience the drag. And it was smooth. Cannot speak to durability yet as it is new. My buddy owns the NASCI that has been frequently mentioned in this thread; and it is light and smooth. But based on the following review, I'm going with the BG for build, performance, durability, specs and aesthetics. The review is extensively technical/mechanical but also straight forward enough for the average angler to glean some quality info. I'll always check for an Alan Hawk review prior to purchase moving forward. I paid $100. 15lb braid, paired with a 7'6" Med TFO. More than pleased as it stands, 2 months and a few outings in...

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html
bbb

Best spinning Reel for +-$120

Post by bbb »

I recently touched several of these reels you guys have mentioned and a lot of them feel the same. The Penn Fierce II just showed up in the mail and it looks/feels a lot better built than my 10yr old Stradics did when new. I also bought a Shimano Sahara for $49 at BP and it feels comparable to my Stradics.

Seems like there are a lot of good choices out there today from $50-$100.
Hula Popper

Post by Hula Popper »

fishinfool wrote:Speaking from a reel repair point of view, this is what I am seeing:

They need to be rinsed, dried and oiled after EACH use.
Hey, fishingfool ... what should we do when it comes to oiling a spinning reel after use? I rinse mine, but I don't oil them ... and don't know how to do so ... yet.

Can you fill us in?

My main reel is a Shimano Stradic, but I also have a nice, older Quantum I use a lot, too.
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

The one thing I am always reminded is they are all made in China.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Hula Popper,
My original post stated: NOTE: All Shimano reels with a bearing in the line roller seem to have corrosion issues. They need to be rinsed, dried and oiled after EACH use.
This is accomplished easily enough by turning the handle rapidly after rinsing the reel to sling out any water in the line roller assembly. After that simply put a drop or two of reel oil(reel-x or marvel mystery oil) on the roller and work it in. I usually do that by taking a length of line under the roller and work it back and forth 5-10 times.
Some oil on a rag can be used to apply a light coat on the exterior of the reel also.