Would you still fish if you couldn't keep anything?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Would you still fish if you couldn't keep anything?

Post by Gulf Coast »

Salty Gator wrote:
JeffB wrote:Yep, I would definitely keep fishing.
Fishing's kinda like quail hunting for me. It's not about killing the quail, it's the dogs and all the other stuff that goes along with it.
I do keep my limit of trout and redfish, if I ever catch the limit which is rare. I don't freeze fish, so I fry fish with friends and family and
if there's any more over that, I give away to other friends. I might keep a couple of small black drum occasionally but they are always towards the
small end of the slot. I only fish inshore.
I'm with you Jeff, I'd still chase quail around with my dogs and use a blank pistol if taking quail were outlawed.
I understand y'alls point but, what if using dogs to hunt quail/ducks with were outlawed ?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Absolutely. Sport-fishing is not just a hobby for me, it's my passion and livelihood. As many of you know I have made my professional career from fishing as an editor, guide, staffer for marine conservation groups and now as a freelance writer and photographer. I will occasionally keep a fish or two to eat freshly grilled. I like the taste of fish, plus the health benefits. But I would still be on the water even if I couldn't keep any. The solitude, beauty and complexity of the marine environment are what motivate me. I love it when I see a sea turtle or pod of dolphins herding mullet or a lone eagle sitting atop a dead palm, hunting for its next meal. I enjoy the challenge of trying to decipher the tides and fish patterns, and fooling fish on artificial lures and flies. It's about the quality of the experience, not the quantity. If I can silently pole my skiff up on a tailing or laid-up red without disturbing it, make the cast and entice it to eat, that is a fantastic day for me. And letting a worthwhile adversary go afterwards is a feeling that I will never grow tired of.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

a lot of good comments.

SG-you're comments on restraint vs pain are interesting, and I tend to agree. I recently gave Boo a series of Adequan injections (AKA Fountain of Youth). Got to the point after about the 4th injection that he would see the needle and get excited like does when I have treat. I've also pulled multiple hooks from that dog, and dragging a fishing rod panics him more than the hook removal process. The spectrum of pain in the animal kingdom is more than most humans could ever imagine. Any big game hunter can attest to the injuries they've seen animals survive; all humans would roll over and cry.

I would definitely keep chasing game even if you couldn't eat them. While it would take something away, I'm not sure it would even phase me greatly to hunt with a camera instead of gun. Gun powder and 2-stroke oil are two of my favorite morning smells, but I shoot many more deer with a camera each year than I do with a gun or bow.

Certain trips would certainly be eliminated, as I doubt I would throw down the money to head to the oil rigs for tuna or probably even going off-shore bottom dropping. Inshore fishing, bird hunting and deer hunting will always be done through one form or another.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Gulf Coast wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
JeffB wrote:Yep, I would definitely keep fishing.
Fishing's kinda like quail hunting for me. It's not about killing the quail, it's the dogs and all the other stuff that goes along with it.
I do keep my limit of trout and redfish, if I ever catch the limit which is rare. I don't freeze fish, so I fry fish with friends and family and
if there's any more over that, I give away to other friends. I might keep a couple of small black drum occasionally but they are always towards the
small end of the slot. I only fish inshore.
I'm with you Jeff, I'd still chase quail around with my dogs and use a blank pistol if taking quail were outlawed.
I understand y'alls point but, what if using dogs to hunt quail/ducks with were outlawed ?
Well that is a different question. More like asking would you still fish if rod and reels were outlawed. But to answer your question, I don't duck hunt with (my) dogs. Snakes and gators freak me out. However, I wouldn't have ever retrieved my first banded wood duck this year without my hunting partners Drathaar. As for quail, no I wouldn't hunt them without dogs. In fact I've gotten where the dogs are the only reason I chase quail. I love to eat wild quail, but not as much as I love seeing a good dog work birds. I'd have no problem hunting with a camera if taking birds were outlawed.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I have a very large family, we all grew up deer dog hunting....love the sound of them walker dogs running a deer. Never did much quail hunting til I was much older. It's all about the dog thou ! Anyways back to the thread :smt004