YA YA THE NET BAN IS LIFTED

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: YA YA THE NET BAN IS LIFTED

Post by SS-342 »

Well said MudDucker! I agree 100%, however, I didn't vote for the net ban way back but support it now. Time and things change. We made the change, years ago, that hurt some families who made a living netting mullet. I didn't support that change but it happened. We live in a different time now and I see no need to go back to what it was.

We've had some interesting and educational discussions on this subject. Thanks everyone.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Ifishtoo wrote:Yes, I've been reading this thread and the others on the Net Ban topic. I smell some rather elitist attitudes being expressed. Having lived and fished many of Florida's coastal waters in a life time of fishing, I've met many fine folks on the water. That's a lifetime that has lasted to Social Security and Medicare.

Some of them were fine fellas trying to make a living on the water. Very few of them found much financial success. Most barely scraped by. That includes both: 1) commercial fishermen, 2) Charter Captains, and 3) the fellas that participated in both.

I have also met many recreational fishermen. Usually, they had fairly nice boats and often fished on weekends. Some of them were retired. Some of them were fine folks, too.

There are plenty of @ss holes on each side of the fishing sector.

I very, very seldom have met a coastal developer, corporate type that I would call a decent fella. That fella only cared about making a profit and moving on.

I can't help but notice all of those Salty Gator's signature. Something about "if we don't like his football team, he guesses we can't get into that school"????? How do we take that kind of fella serious? Sorta sounds like something an elitist might say.
Read my signature again and see what is says about football. It is about education not sports. Just read some of the pro fsu signatures. There are a few I could point out to you. I am proud of where I went to school. And I'm sorry you can't take me seriously. I put that signature up a few months ago. Could you take me seriously before? I am passionate about a few things, inshore fishing and my alma mater are two of them.
Last edited by Salty Gator on November 7th, 2013, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

EddieJoe wrote: Great post. And, as much as I don't like doing this sort of thing, Ronald Fred has turned a corner with me. No more of my business, even though he has a fine store with reasonable prices and is a likable guy. He can't play both sides of the street and expect us to smile and bend over, again and again. I suspect the resource has already paid a penalty for his posturing and that's not right. EJ
Making a statement with your wallet is one of the best ways to get a point across. I will never spend a single dime of my hard-earned money with establishments that actively work to harm my livelihood and passions. And for those who may not be aware of it, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit owns Lighthouse Seafood in St. Marks.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:
EddieJoe wrote: Great post. And, as much as I don't like doing this sort of thing, Ronald Fred has turned a corner with me. No more of my business, even though he has a fine store with reasonable prices and is a likable guy. He can't play both sides of the street and expect us to smile and bend over, again and again. I suspect the resource has already paid a penalty for his posturing and that's not right. EJ
Making a statement with your wallet is one of the best ways to get a point across. I will never spend a single dime of my hard-earned money with establishments that actively work to harm my livelihood and passions. And for those who may not be aware of it, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit owns Lighthouse Seafood in St. Marks.
Good to know
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

SO, none of you will ever buy anything from a seafood house ever again, ANY SEAFOOD HOUSE? Cause if you do, you are supporting the mullet fishers by keeping the buyers of their catch in business :-D :smt004 And we all know that y'all are so adamant about shutting down the mullet fishers that you will withhold your hard earned monies from these dastardly supporters of the mullet fishers :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

wevans wrote:SO, none of you will ever buy anything from a seafood house ever again, ANY SEAFOOD HOUSE? Cause if you do, you are supporting the mullet fishers by keeping the buyers of their catch in business :-D :smt004 And we all know that y'all are so adamant about shutting down the mullet fishers that you will withhold your hard earned monies from these dastardly supporters of the mullet fishers :beer: :beer:
Wevans:

As the football commentators say on TV, "Aw, com'on, man!" Shutting down the mullet fishers is not the issue, at least for me, and I suspect for most posters on this subject. It's the use of a mesh size greater than the 2" now allowed under FWC rule for the 500 square foot nets, something settled many years ago for most people. This is really old news and a fight that didn't need to be brought up again, which is why I am so irritated with RFC. As I have posted before, people have moved on in their lives and in their business ventures. Yeah, there are bad memories for some about traditions lost, but if you are an old Florida native like myself growing up fishing and in a fishing family that is normal and expected, although generally never appreciated. I could go on over a cold one about the good old days and the fish I saw and caught without limits, and I probably do more of my share as I age.

Let's move on, brother. You are a good guy like most on the board.

EJ
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

EddieJoe wrote:
wevans wrote:SO, none of you will ever buy anything from a seafood house ever again, ANY SEAFOOD HOUSE? Cause if you do, you are supporting the mullet fishers by keeping the buyers of their catch in business :-D :smt004 And we all know that y'all are so adamant about shutting down the mullet fishers that you will withhold your hard earned monies from these dastardly supporters of the mullet fishers :beer: :beer:
Wevans:

As the football commentators say on TV, "Aw, com'on, man!" Shutting down the mullet fishers is not the issue, at least for me, and I suspect for most posters on this subject. It's the use of a mesh size greater than the 2" now allowed under FWC rule for the 500 square foot nets, something settled many years ago for most people. This is really old news and a fight that didn't need to be brought up again, which is why I am so irritated with RFC. As I have posted before, people have moved on in their lives and in their business ventures. Yeah, there are bad memories for some about traditions lost, but if you are an old Florida native like myself growing up fishing and in a fishing family that is normal and expected, although generally never appreciated. I could go on over a cold one about the good old days and the fish I saw and caught without limits, and I probably do more of my share as I age.

Let's move on, brother. You are a good guy like most on the board.

EJ
:thumbup:

Ifishtoo pm sent ant awaiting a response
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Ant awaiting what? Am I supposed to climb on here every hour, every day, every week; for a debate in cyberspace? I'm sorry, I got some big fish to fry.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Did you miss the part that said pm sent? It should come to your email without you having to check every hour
cotton

Post by cotton »

I haven't posted in a while. Back then we were arguing over folks keeping a single trophy trout. That conversation seems petty today.

Judging from the conversation here and on other sites, most recreational fisherman have seen the positive benefits of the ban. If the ban is lifted, I believe a more restrictive ban would be implemented. When you add in the environmental wacko's reaching the threshold for a new ban would likely be reached.

So go ahead and lift the ban. I can live with a more restrictive one.

For the recreational folks witnessing folks taking over the limit: You'll have no one to blame but yourself when the limit is reduced or a species removed from legal harvesting. You owe it to yourself and your kids to report them.