Carrabelle 6-10-2006

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Carrabelle 6-10-2006

Post by Tom Keels »

Left the dock at 7:30 with Frank Bradfield (fishbone :)), PinfishKing, and Andre. Seas were about 2 foot rollers and it was very warm. We made bait for H/L for about an hour. Ran up on a school of bait about 7 miles out that was probably 5 acres. We put about 50 live baits in the livewell and went to a snapper spot in 85 feet.

Big show on the recorder so we anchored up. PFK put a keeper red snapper and a nice red grouper in the box right away. The rest of us managed a couple of shorts and Andre got another keeper red grouper.

I had seen enough and got geared up. Frank soon joined me and down we went. I hit the bottom and shot a nice mangrove. When I went to get him in the hole I was surprised by a nice bulldozer. Strung them both and kept looking. Not much on the bottom here. Just holes about 3 feet across scattered every 20 feet or so. The whole time I was surrounded by juvenile red snapper. The only good size keeper I saw got a haircut and never got close enough to me again.

A funny thing happened on this dive. I left my stringer close to one of the holes hoping to coax a bigger fish out. So I went hunting and came back a few minutes later after shooting a nice trigger and noticed my stringer was not where I left it. About that time I see the tail of my mangrove sticking out of the hole. I go and grab my stringer and try to pull it out and it doesn't want to come. It finally gives and I see what the problem is. A big octopus has grabbed it and tried to pull it into its hole. I was able to wrestle it away from him and went on my way.

Started my ascent and met Frank behind the boat. He gave me the "look" sign and pointed behind him. There he was.

He was about 5 feet. I threw my stringer into the boat and snapped some quick shots.

Next stop was a wreck in 70 feet. Andre and I went down and commenced to murdering mangroves. I ended up loosing a spear and damaging my BC while trying to dig it out. So I took a few pics.

Andre was high gun on this dive with 6 grovers. I managed 4 nice ones but they were overshadowed by Andre's 11 pounder.

Next stop was the Bryson. Since my BC was DOA Andre and Frank went down. They reported great vis but not many fish. Frank lost a shaft to an AJ and Andre (the grover murderer) came back with 3 more nice mangroves. They can tell you more about this dive.

We were going to try the Yamaha next to try to round out the box with an AJ. Along the way we stopped to H/L some more. We ended up getting 2 kings on the flat line and a keeper gag. One of the short gags I pulled up was enhaled by a big shark and left only the head. We decided against diving that spot. :D

The Yamaha already had a dive boat on it so we opted for a close by ledge. Frank loaned me his BC and Andre and I dove the ledge. Not much there but I got a sheep head and a hog.

The seas had gotten really sloppy by this time and we got soaked on the ride in. Made it back to the hill at 6 pm. Took some photos of the catch, cleaned them and then showered. We were headed for Coastal Seafood at 7:30 for a fresh fish meal which as always was awesome! :lick: .

Visibility everywhere we went was 60 feet or better above the thermocline and 20-30 under it. Bottom temps were a very comfy 77° and 81° on the surface. I dove just my dive skin and was very comfortable.

Thanks to everyone for an awesome trip!
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

After watching Offshore Hunter and reading these posts your gonna make me take up hunting :smt011 :wink: :lol:

Very nice :thumbup: :thumbup:
salty_dog
Site Sponsor

Post by salty_dog »

My kingfish are smoke'n as I type. Put em on around 2:30 so I guess I'll pull em round 5:30. Sure is hot outside to be pokin around a smoker. It's been awhile since I pulled out my ole Brinkman.

Had a blast diving yesterday. Little sore today.
dave7

Post by dave7 »

Great report! Enjoyed those underwater pics - especially the shark :thumbup:
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." - John Buchan
Knot Tester

Post by Knot Tester »

Thanks Tom. Been waiting "years" for some bottom pics. :lol:

Next time, how bout some pictures of them holes or that secret ledge. I know you would rather shoot shafts. But hey, you do that every week. There are no dive spots south of Atlanta, and I sure do enjoy seeing whats on the bottom down there. :thumbup:

Whats that orangey fish next to the lobsta?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Knot Tester wrote:Thanks Tom. Been waiting "years" for some bottom pics. :lol:

Next time, how bout some pictures of them holes or that secret ledge. I know you would rather shoot shafts. But hey, you do that every week. There are no dive spots south of Atlanta, and I sure do enjoy seeing whats on the bottom down there. :thumbup:

Whats that orangey fish next to the lobsta?
I would love to take more bottom pics but I just didn't even realize I had the camera until the second dive... the killer instinct seems to grab hold of me. The "orangey" fish is a hogfish.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Andre , I'm waiting to hear how the smoked king was ??
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good job there fellows. Sure enjoyed the report and the pictures. :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Yall make it look easy - I didn't know our water looked so "SeaHunt" around here. Neat!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Good job, Tom. Great pics also. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Cool pics!