St. Marks 07-09-2006

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

St. Marks 07-09-2006

Post by Tom Keels »

What a beautiful day on the water. Me, pimpmassa and his wife hit the lighthouse for a day on the water. 63° at the ramp, water temp 72° in the lighthouse canal, 79 on the flats. Light east wind greeted us as we left the ramp about 7. Trout fished until the tide turned then went to one of my favorite fishing spots to see if we could freedive some fish. Found the spot in 8 feet and headed out. Didn't get more than 10 feet from the boat when I stuck my first sheepshead. Made 3 more trips back with sheeps. Managed to "accidently" shoot a 4 foot nurse shark in the head. He was in the same hole as I saw a grouper run into so when I looked in and saw a nose sticking out I pulled the trigger on what I thought was a grouper. It wasn't. Luckily the barbs didn't stick in and I was able to wrestle the spear out of his head as he thrashed around.

Traveled all around the rock and watched all the bait and small fish. Pimp and his wife picked up a few things for their fish tank.

Next stop was the St. Marks reef that neither of us had ever dove. Nice structure with the culverts. Loaded with more sheeps. I kept two. Pimp got a nice flounder. Pimp saw several borderline cobias swimming around. There are 40 bajillion spanish out there as well as several 100 pound stingrays. Got a sweet chumblock cage here that someone donated to the bottom.

Next stop is a secret. You can see the lighthouse and its about 16 feet deep. That's all you get. Huge structure, lots of life. Lots of sheeps. Got one, then found the grouper. Got one 24" and put a huge hole in a 30 incher that tore off my spear after a hellish battle. Played hide and seek with them for what seemed like forever. Vis was only about 8 feet here so they couldn't see you coming, but you couldn't see them until you both could see each other so I pulled the trigger a couple of times and came up empty. Oh well. Back on the trailer at 1:15. Nice easy day with a gallon of filets in the fridge. Not even hot today.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Awesome trip Tom. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 07-09-2006

Post by tin can »

Tom Keels wrote:Next stop is a secret. You can see the lighthouse and its about 16 feet deep. That's all you get.
That better be all you give. TMI will get you killed.
What was I supposed to do today?
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

sounds like somewhere I can get to in my little boat! Neat stuff :thumbup: :thumbup:
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Mr Flats

Post by Mr Flats »

RodBow wrote:sounds like somewhere I can get to in my little boat! Neat stuff :thumbup: :thumbup:
Exactly! :D

My boys are beginning to express an interest in trying to dive for fish. They are still too young to really do it but I would like to introduce them to it... So finding a few spots that are close in and not too deep would be great.

Tom - sounds like you had a great trip!
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Good day...it ain't no secret spot :lol: ....Highest bidder, anyone :wink: :lol:

:thumbup: :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I got $5. Do I hear $6. :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

birddog wrote:I got $5. Do I hear $6. :lol:
That won't buy no power pole dhaddy
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Your boat'll sink if you put anything else on it.
GULP! free since 1970.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Tom , your turning into the mighty freediver ! From now on I'll expect to see you with no tanks ! :-D
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

birddog wrote:Your boat'll sink if you put anything else on it.
The jack plate isn't that heavy :-D
Frank Bradfield wrote:Tom , your turning into the mighty freediver ! From now on I'll expect to see you with no tanks ! :-D
I have been somewhat Offshore hunter inspired myself, a guy once told me spear fishing was like being on cocaine and not having enough money :o :lol:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Chalk wrote:I have been somewhat Offshore hunter inspired myself, a guy once told me spear fishing was like being on cocaine and not having enough money :o :lol:
:smt005
GULP! free since 1970.
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

Sounds like a real sweet trip. :thumbup: