neglected forum

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

Here is a good tip, Pizza crust make very good chum on the flats.

Reason: It is very tuff the next day and last a long time while floating on top of the water. That brings the pinfish up out of the grass, That brings the trout around the pinfish. The fishermen then puts trolling motor down and stays with floating pizza crust.

One can not make this stuff up :thumbup: .
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

jsuber wrote:Kayaks have plugs too, and they are really hard to paddle with 100 gallons of water in them.
Not to mention they are hard to get on plain to allow gravity to drain the out.... :o
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

1: Boats will back off the trailer better if you also unhook the safety chain when you unhook the winch strap. :o

2: When you climb back off the boat to unhook the safety chain, be careful not to slip. It sux fishing all day with wet shoes and socks. :o

Dubble :beer:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

birddog wrote: How about , make sure your boat is off the trailer and in the water before driving up the ramp. :lol:
Now you're getting personal! :smt010
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Me too. :thumbup: :smt005
GULP! free since 1970.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Here's a tip for the neophytes; when trolling for shallow water grouper you should troll near the stone crab trap lines. These traps are set on the same bottom structure that near-shore grouper frequent.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Dang noleflyfisher that's scary stuff. I can only add, make sure your anchor rope is tied to the boat when anchoring up to go snorkeling for scallops. That was a close one 4 sure.
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Ty one on wrote: My mother told me about a satistic, that said the majority of men who drown are found with their pants down. "Pissing". Something to think about.
Yep, My dad was in the Coast Guard 25+ years and quotes the "open fly" stat on occassion.
Mr Flats

Post by Mr Flats »

When hooked up with a decent tarpon don't let the kids stand next to the throttle lever if you are "idling" after the fish :o
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

When backing the duck boat out of your cover on 30ish degree days, dont lean on the push pole too hard if you are pushing against a floating island. Duck foot or no, they push thru eventually.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

grim reeler wrote:When backing the duck boat out of your cover on 30ish degree days, dont lean on the push pole too hard if you are pushing against a floating island. Duck foot or no, they push thru eventually.
Quick Tip: Don't go fishing or hunting in 30ish degree weather.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

If using cut bait and idling to new spot do not think it would be cool to throw scraps of bait to seagulls to see if they can catch them in mid air. They will try and then they will keep trying even when said bait is connected to hook, line and a cajun thunder. You will have to move FAST to a FAR AWAY spot.

Do lobby the federal goverment to start a hunting season for seagulls. :email:
reel therapy
Site Sponsor

Post by reel therapy »

Tips:

(1) If you purchase a small used jon boat with a 1988 motor, and you know nothing about boats, do not take it out at 10pm on a very cold night in January with your buddy, who knows something about boats (but not much more than you) if you have not at least tried to fire up the motor before hand. :hammer:

(2) Otherwise, you might put in at the St. Marks River 98 bridge boat ramp and use your trolling motor to guide you down river with the current. You might get some confidence because you feel you have control of your rig with the trolling motor. 8) You might be having so much fun in your new rig, that you keep right on traveling past Shields, past the fort, and into a strong moving current where the St. Marks meets the Wakulla. No big deal, because you can always fire it up and fly back up the river. This is where your buddy attempts to start the motor--if by chance it doesn't start then panic ( I don't know what you should do here).

(3) But don't, and I stress "don't" call your wife at home for help, especially when it is now well after midnight and she and your children are well asleep, and don't let your buddy call his wife for help either. Chances are, you might wish you had just forgot to put the plug in back at the ramp. :-?

:beer:
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

While coming ashore for the night while camping, don't pull the bow of the boat onshore of tidal creeks :hammer:
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

When discussing a difference of opinion with a game warden, do not, no matter how much you may believe it, call him or his opinion "chicken $#!+".