Flounder Gigging

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Cooper

Flounder Gigging

Post by Cooper »

I posted this in the fishing forum but it may be better fit here.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks?
stuart888

Post by stuart888 »

Yes, but my trick is not for just flounder, more of whatever big keepers are moving by. This works best at night, but a calm day in clear water, it works as well. Have the person driving the boat, go as slow as the boat will go. I stand on the front of the boat with my gig in my right hand, and my q-beam (for night time) in my left. The light attracts the fish, and lets you see them. You are right over the top of them to spear.

It is easy and a lot of fun.

Try that sometime.

Best Regards, Stuart
bballchrism

Post by bballchrism »

stuart888 wrote:Yes, but my trick is not for just flounder, more of whatever big keepers are moving by. This works best at night, but a calm day in clear water, it works as well. Have the person driving the boat, go as slow as the boat will go. I stand on the front of the boat with my gig in my right hand, and my q-beam (for night time) in my left. The light attracts the fish, and lets you see them. You are right over the top of them to spear.

It is easy and a lot of fun.

Try that sometime.

Best Regards, Stuart
hey where do you do this at
stuart888

Post by stuart888 »

Hi...This works anywhere in the waters around Florida, but I spend the most time on the west coast, from Pensacola all the way down to Tampa. But I have done the same thing down in the Keys. It works best when the wind is calm, so you can see through the water.

Plus it is fun, and since you are just at idle, you are not using hardly any gas at all.

When you try it, please post a message here so I can see how it went.

Take care, Stuart