Quick lure question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Quick lure question

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I couldn't sleep last night and had a ,what I think, is a great idea for a new sinking style plug. Since a few offshore teasers are wooden and a lot of the older plugs were wooden, why wouldn't this same material work now.

Here is the question, what type of wood would you use to hand make a plug for either top-water, sinking or swallow diving? If it doesn't work at cathing fish, it should look nice in a display case.

As always, any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Cedar. If I remember when I get home tonight I'll forward you some pics of ones that a buddy of mine made last year. He carves them then airbrushes them to our requested colors. I have a chug-bug imitation in fire-tiger that is lethal. Good luck
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Basswood or cedar. Personnally, I would lean toward cedar, but I may be biased, having had a bunch laying around for over a year waiting for me to make plugs out of it. :oops: :D
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I need some more light in the shop to take pictures.

This is straight grained cedar I've made some plugs out of.
The block at the top of picture is what I start with. I turn them on the lathe. seal with laquer and then paint. The weight of the cedar helps to cast them further. You just have to experiment with sizes and profiles to get them to work right.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I need some more light in the shop to take pictures.
Use the flash on your camera to supplement the existing light... :wink:

Just .02
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.