Storage Unit Racks

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Storage Unit Racks

Post by Atticus »

So I have a storage unit. Its 19 feet deep, 10 feet wide and 7 feet high.

I can fit about 100 boxes of documents into it, stacked 3 boxes high, around the two side walls and the back wall. I need to get ANOTHER 100 in there.

I was thinking about making crude storage racksout of 2X4s and deck screws. Each shelf would be 9'4" long, 4' tall and 22" deep.

Two could go on either sde wall for a total of four 'standard' sized racks. One odd-ball shelf would be on the back wall and would be about 70" long but the other dimensions would be the same (hight and depth).

I am thinking the shelves would be standard cubes. Four 2X4s in two directions. Four 9'4"s, Four 19". Then four 4' legs and two 4' middle supports - so Six 4'

On the top plane of the cube I would install cross sections to support the upper level of boxes. (About every 16 inches so figure Five additional 19" pieces.

1) Is this going to work? I was at Lowes today and most 2X4s aren't that straight. I don't think this thing is going to sit level.

2) How much lumber for each shelf? I counted up Four pieces at 9'4", Six pieves at 4' and Nine pieces at 19". I think I can build that out of Nine 2X4X10' pieces.

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I have a clamp and a screw gun. Got a Skil saw and some deck screws.

Just need some racks to store an extra bunch of stuff without renting another unit.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Store it all on a cd. Sounds like cd will hold it all. :roll:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Storage Unit Racks

Post by Reel Cowboy »

If you want straight 2"x4"s buy 2"x6" s and rip them down on a table saw. That's the only get straight lumber anymore. It sounds like the idea you have is pretty good, but I have to agree with JT51, get a disc and save it all.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Reel cowboy is correct about the 2x6's. However, it won't matter if the 2x4's aren't exactly straight for utility shelving. As a matter of fact, there's probably not a straight 2x4 in your house.

What you've described will work fine. What are you going to use for shelving?
What was I supposed to do today?
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

tin can wrote:Reel cowboy is correct about the 2x6's. However, it won't matter if the 2x4's aren't exactly straight for utility shelving. As a matter of fact, there's probably not a straight 2x4 in your house.

What you've described will work fine. What are you going to use for shelving?
Or even measured at the right width. Sounds like you have a plan! Granted you're height is only 7ft so I wouldn't spend too much money on the lumber.
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Add six of these under each rack and you can fill that baby up with shelving :-D :beer: :beer: