Fishing Towel

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Fishing Towel

Post by Atticus »

Hey guys I had been using old golf towels zip-tied to my windshield grab rail as a hand de-sliming towel. But I ran out of old golf towels.

So I went to Wal Mart and golf towels were like $6 each. Boaters World has fishing towels for about $4 a shot.

What I did instead was get a grommet kit. Rounded up the old dish towels in the house (about 6) and shot grommets through them. Got my zip ties ready.

Now when the one attached to the grab rail gets to ratty - new towel for the console is on standby.

Cheap grommet kit will turn any shop rag or other piece of cloth into a zip-tieable fishing towel in a couple seconds.

Now I just have to find some fish slime somewhere. Wife suggested I had too much tackle and thats why I can't catch fish. :smt014
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Good Idea, Luke.

Tell your wife it's impossible to have too much tackle. :-D
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

nice :thumbup:

But I just use TinCan's jacket or shirttail.
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

birddog wrote:nice :thumbup:

But I just use TinCan's jacket or shirttail.
I didn't much mind when yoused my jacket or shirt tail. Don't use my hat any more. :-?
What was I supposed to do today?
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I bought a pair of gloves marketed by Frabill last year. They're neopreme and are about 12-14" long with a big cuff...easy to slip your hand in. They have a piece of velcro on the inside of the cuff. A pad that your belt slips through comes with it..the pad also has a piece of velcro..
Just stick the gloves to the pad and when you need to take a fish off, just stick your hand down in the glove and pull it off....Keeps the slime off your hand..
I also keep several dish towels in the boat ...buy em at Walmart by the bundle for five bucks. I buy the dark green ones..After a fishing trip just gather em up and throw in the washer..
Never thought about putting a grommets in them..would make it easier to attach em to something instead of throwing them in the floor or across something.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Tincan uses a dish towel, when the fish aren't biting he lays it on the deck and oils down and lays on it to get some sun :lol: :lol:

:thumbup: :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Chalk wrote:Tincan uses a dish towel, when the fish aren't biting he lays it on the deck and oils down and lays on it to get some sun :lol: :lol:

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Awwww man. I'm gonna have nightmares now. :o :o :o
GULP! free since 1970.
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

You fella's are too much, I just steal dish towels when my wife isn't lookin :-D
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

If you guys don't like the dish towel thing get a bag of shop rags at an autoparts department near you. Install grommets and one zip tie - you have a non-removable fishing towel for less than a buck. Fully interchangable.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Atticus wrote:If you guys don't like the dish towel thing get a bag of shop rags at an autoparts department near you. Install grommets and one zip tie - you have a non-removable fishing towel for less than a buck. Fully interchangable.
That is what I do with my towels. But I use a shower curtain ring to hold the towel on. I can move it around if I need to. Go to Wally World and a pack of ring are about 2 bucks
Rogan
Site Sponsor

Post by Rogan »

Atticus,

Try Dollar Tree and the stores that sell everything for a dollar. Amy looks for golf towels everytime she goes to a Dollar Tree and she has found some nice ones. I also use a shower ring. Shower rings will break and the towel will go flying out of the boat if left attached while towing.. Some type of stainless clip or snap ring may work better but I havent changed up yet.
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...
flatpicker
Site Sponsor

Post by flatpicker »

I've got a better idea. Have Mr. Keels order a minimum of 24 golf towels with hook and grommet w/ the BigBendFishing.net logo imprinted on them. That way all of us can have one. He could sell them easily for around $4 and cover all cost. Maybe make a little to put toward the site! :-D :-D Just an idea.......or maybe a sales pitch. You decide :wink:
Last edited by flatpicker on May 9th, 2007, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

Wallyworld hand towels and shower rings. I just cut slots in the towel and attach it to the back of my leaning post with the shower ring. By the time it tears off and blows away its time for a new one anyway. those clips on the golf towels rust and stain my decks.