Who runs what motor?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Who runs what motor?

Post by Redbelly »

Curious to see. Do you run a 4 stroke or 2 storke and why, if any particular reason?

I 'm at home bored and have nothing else to do.... 8)
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

My mudmotor and my airboat are 4 stroke. My outboards are all 2 stroke.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Four stroke 40 Yammy, gas millage, quite, no oil in gas smell :thumbup: but does not wind up as fast as a two stroke on the hole shot :thumbdown: but does just fine when I'm by myself "or the passenger moves forward" :beer:
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

2 stroke 60ETec
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
bman

Post by bman »

I'm with Wevans-
I have a 4stroke Nissan 30 on a J-16 Carolina Skiff

Fantastic with 1, OK with 2, Wallows with 3
The 4stroke just takes longer to get up on plane.

If I had it to do again I'd get a 40- but still stay with the 4 stroke.
Quite, smooth, and sips gas.

I haven't had any experience with E-Techs so take that into consideration.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

90 Mercury Optimax (2-stroke). First time owning a Mercury. Happy so far. Have it on an 1860 Grizzly aluminum and it seems to run well. Starts with first turn of key (no choking), doesn't appear to miss/sputter during operation (regardless of speed), etc...

Heard the optimax had some engineering changes that reduced emissions and improved gas mileage. So far, I'm satisfied.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

115 4 stroke Yamaha on the flats boat. 200 2 stroke Mariner on the bass boat.

I was hesitant to buy the flats boat with the 4 stroke. Never owned one. I even considered trading the motor for a 2 stroke, because of weight. Scout told me it would make about a half inch difference in draft. I'm happy with the 4 stroke, so far.

I'll stay with a 2 stroke for a bass boat. Weight makes a tremendous difference on that type of hull.
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I agree with you Ron. I had heard so many people put down Mercury outboards, but I ran the 40 h.p. that I had like I stole it and never had a moments trouble.
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Years ago Mercury got a bad , but deserved, reputation in saltwater. They've fixed their problems. Ain't nothin wrong with a black motor.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

birddog wrote:I agree with you Ron. I had heard so many people put down Mercury outboards, but I ran the 40 h.p. that I had like I stole it and never had a moments trouble.
Have run yamahas, johnsons/evinrudes, suzuki 2-stokes. All were good, long lasting motors, but seemed to be cold starters and at times would miss/run rough at idle speeds to varying degrees, but was confident they would always get me there and back. Never had a motor (2-stroke) run so smooth as this Merc (and I was never a previous Merc fan). By far the best part for me at this point is hitting that key (no choke) and having it start right up. At this point I'm being cautiously optimistic. Hope it holds up.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Ron Wilson wrote:
birddog wrote:I agree with you Ron. I had heard so many people put down Mercury outboards, but I ran the 40 h.p. that I had like I stole it and never had a moments trouble.
Have run yamahas, johnsons/evinrudes, suzuki 2-stokes. All were good, long lasting motors, but seemed to be cold starters and at times would miss/run rough at idle speeds to varying degrees, but was confident they would always get me there and back. Never had a motor (2-stroke) run so smooth as this Merc (and I was never a previous Merc fan). By far the best part for me at this point is hitting that key (no choke) and having it start right up. At this point I'm being cautiously optimistic. Hope it holds up.
Ron, I would guess this your first experience with a fuel injected motor. All of the carbed motors I've ever owned, especially the old OMC's, were extremely cold natured. The no choke/quick start is the most impressive feature of the fuel injected motors.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

tin can wrote: Ron, I would guess this your first experience with a fuel injected motor. All of the carbed motors I've ever owned, especially the old OMC's, were extremely cold natured. The no choke/quick start is the most impressive feature of the fuel injected motors.
Yes Sir. I'm with you.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I have a three year old 2 stroke Merc 90 on my 19' CS.. So far its been very good and never given me any trouble..It is cold starting sometimes and occasionally idles rough..Plenty of power for my boat though and never let me down...couple weeks ago I put a stainless prop on it and replace the aluminum one...dropped one degree in pitch.Sure seemed to make it smoother running down the river out to the flats... Inicidently, anyone know who handles Sea Pro boats in the Tallahassee area ?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

sundown wrote: Inicidently, anyone know who handles Sea Pro boats in the Tallahassee area ?
Mike's Marine, in Panacea.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Yammy 90 on the Duracraft, and 200 on the Pathfinder. I've had the others, and won't go back.
Stay Thirsty My Friends