Question on VHF antennas

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Question on VHF antennas

Post by CSMarine »

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between a three foot metal whip antenna and a three foot fiberglass for a VHF radio? Next question, what could I expect for range with Uniden Solara with a three foot antenna on a clear day?
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

I dont know that there would be a difference between both since they are 3 foot. I have a three ft metal one and the range is not real good. For better range get one of them 8ft antenna's.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I had a 3 footer on my boat and it was about like having a handheld :o With the 8 footer I can hear folks 20 miles away, haven't tried talking that far yet :lol:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I use my boat only on the flats and rivers. I only have an 18 gal. fuel tank, and I run a 90 hp Johnson, but I run it down close sometimes because I run up and down the coast a lot. I don't have a lot of room in my boat, and my console is shorter than most. I may figure a way to carry an 8 foot somewhere in the boat as a back up in addition to the 3 foot. Thanks for the response DS.
Semper Fi
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

This is a 4 foot fiberglass antenna that has 4.5 db gain. Don't skimp and get a cheap antenna. The whips ae no better than handhelds in my opinion. This was the #1 rated 4 foot antenna on the market.

4' VHF 4.5dB Gain Antenna 528-VW WHITE
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Thanks for the info Tom. After doing a little more homework, I think your suggestion is the way to go. Now all I have to do is find a source. I've contacted a number of boat dealers in my area, and they can't get it for me. I went on the internet with a few dealers. No one had it in stock. Most of them priced it between $89-$100 without the mount. Still looking.
Semper Fi
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Thanks for everyone's advice. I ordered the 4 foot 528-VW digital from Bethel Marine in Miami. $66 for antenna, $7.00 for plastic mount. with shipping $82.
Darn thang almost cost me more than my radio did. :o Still not sure what my range will be with the Solara???
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Somewhere around 25 miles or so depending on antenna. The one you ordered should be just fine, mount as high as you can. Since I have the 3 ft whip I can hear farther than I can talk.