grouper report - 01/13/02

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Offshore7

Post by Offshore7 »

again, snuck out between sorry weather and was met with 3-4's in the am, but the ride in my buddy's world cat made the seas a non-factor. these boats are fantastic. anyway, still lured by big daddy grouper, we went out to 99' and could only muster up a 13# gag, a scamp and some red snapper throw backs -although one went 10.25#. went back to an old hole in 75' and got on the bite instantly and after it was over (40 min worth), we had 11 more gags from 8-12# and 3 mangroves at 8,9,10#. the "new" line i had put on my reel (80#) broke twice where it wraps around the swivel - this line is aready been taken off the reel -p.o.s. line! had a second breakoff due to a cut on the coral and 5 min later the guy next to me brings in a healthy grouper with two of my hooks still in his mouth! these fish are GREEDY and that is their demise - if you miss him the 1st time you can guarantee he'll be back for more-every time. anyway, we caught some other assorted stuff like porgies and small aj's. all fish caught on ly's, squid and live bait. seas calmed to less than 2' and the ride in was smoooooooooooooth and fast. i've got my fill for awhile and the next trip out is in early feb for yellowfin tuna and wahoo over in venice, la. good god, what a show that goes on over there! they've got it made. good luck, and post a report if you go.
Offshore7 out.
BigbaitBigfish

Post by BigbaitBigfish »

where'd you get them out of, c-belle?
zztop1

Post by zztop1 »

Must've been some expert fisherman u wasa teamed up wid.Did U get your pictures developed from last years tuna trip? :eek:
Boat(Southern Charm)25 SeaCat
Capt. Dave

Post by Capt. Dave »

Offshore, WHo are you going out with over in Venice? I have been trying to put together a trip over there for the last two years but it hasn't happened yet.
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

2 weeks in a row....Glad to see you getting on 'em. Gotta quit using that K-Mart fishing line though :grin:
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Offshore 7, When you say that your line broke "where it wrapped round the swivel".
Do you mean at the knot on the swivel?

The reason I asked, is that I used to have this problem.
When salvaging the large swivels for re-use, I found that I was burring them cutting the old line off.
After a few breakages, that I blamed on line and poor hook tying, I noticed how burred the swivels were.

Probably not the answer to your problem, but just a thought.
Offshore7

Post by Offshore7 »

BBBF, yep, out of c-belle, then head west between o and c towers.

Capt Dave, going to venice with 3 of my buddies which is an annual event now in Feb. as this is PRIME TUNA/WAHOO TIME. get on http://www.rodnreel.com and you can find all the cpts you need. go to "reports", "offshore" and you will be amazed at what goes on over there. check last years action in Jan-Mar. heck, check the "picures", search for "tuna" too! Unbelievable. Cpt Peace Marvel is the man!

Cranfield, yes, the line broke at the knot as it wraps around the swivel. these are #250 swivels that have a large diameter, hence not "cutting" your line as a thinner diameter might. the knots held, but not the line. these were new swivels straight out of the bag. when i want to save the swivel, i cut just above the knot and then you should be able to unravel the knot with your fingers. this keeps the knife blade away from the swivel so like you said - it won't get burrs on it that may cut your line. i use a crawford knot that is easy and fast to tie and have "knot" had any fail yet. it's a great knot.

zz, believe me, it wasn't the capt - as a matter of fact, i remember him getting taken to the cleaners 3 times by big boys!! when will you, i mean, when will he ever learn to ditch those cheap mustad j hooks for some owners (that won't bend)!

Phishnfool - correct grasshopper! already re-spooled with ande clear #80. giddyup!!!!
zztop1

Post by zztop1 »

:eek: Yeah but who caught the biggest mangrove
U know who,now dontcha!
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Offshore 7, I understand what you mean now, seems like another example of "you get what you pay for".

zztop 1, my daughters got all of your records.:grin: