Memorial Day...Pictures at Pearl Harbor

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rogan
Site Sponsor

Memorial Day...Pictures at Pearl Harbor

Post by Rogan »

I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to travel to Hawaii where the wife and I along with her parents visted Pearl Harbor. My pa-in-law is retired AF Chief Master Sergant and was stationed at Hickam AFB (Pearl Harbor) during Vietnam. Visiting Pearl Harbor and Hickam was a very sobering experience. I thought I'd take this opportunity to share a bit of the trip with the forum as we remember the many sacrifices our military and country gave for the freedoms we enjoy each day. I will never view Memorial Day quite the same.

Bullet scars still remain in what is now the Air Force motel. This was airman barracks on Dec 7, 1941.
Jap torpedo fired during the attack on Pearl Harbor...
USS Arizona in the early morning hours of Dec 7, 1941

USS Arizona Memorial
Names of the fallen
USS Arizona at rest that still contains 1102 of the 1177 sailors and marines that lost their life while onboard. A total of 2388 Americans were lost that day.

What remains of the gun turrent base.
USS Missouri looking over the resting place of the USS Arizona. The USS Mo is where General McArthur accepted the surrender of Japan while anchored in Tokyo Harbor, ending World War II.
Memorial of the men who gave their lives on Submarines. American subs laid a heavy toll on the Jap fleet during the war. Most US subs were lost in the South Pacific in undetermined locations. 3,500+ men and 52 subs are at rest at the bottom of the sea.
Punch Bowl National Cemetery where 38,000+ are buried and 26,280 names listed as missing and never recovered during US conflicts of war.
Let us never forget...
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...
flatpicker
Site Sponsor

Post by flatpicker »

Wow. What a great reminder.
Thanks to all Vets for our freedom :thumbup:
Mr Flats

Post by Mr Flats »

I was lucky enough to visit HI on business a few years ago and as a boy from a military family I couldn't resist going to Pearl Harbor. It is a very moving experience.

Thanks for sharing.
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

A Salute to all the Men and Women who have given their lives so that we may live ours in the freedom that we sometimes take for granted. I'll never forget :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I will never forget.

Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

Thanks for sharing and giving us a reminder of what today is really all about.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Rogan,
Thanks for sharing the pics.

The three best PMEs (Professional Military Education) experiences I had was to tour Pearl Harbor, the battleground of the Battle for Okinawa, and the DMZ at the border of North and South Korea.

You said it best....sobering!
"Plan for the worst."