BigBendFishing.net Fly Swap

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jacknasty

Post by Jacknasty »

it's the guy that taught me how to fly fish about 6-7 years ago. He used to own a shop in Shalimar, moved to Crystal River, then came back about 6 months ago. He's in FWB now and kind of working out of a pawn shop here until he finds another location. This guy is absolutely unbelievable with a fly rod. I owe him a lot for all the free instruction and excellent fishing trips he's taken me on.

His name is Capt Paul Darby.
Ramon
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

Chalk, their on the way. Flats Bunny "Auburn Tiger" I tied them with a full weed guard (which can be cut to a single if you guys like). It's my goto fly on a flood tide when the redfish are up in the grass. Fish it slow and let the bunny hair do the work. Works good on pomps also.
Material

Mustad #2
White 1/8" rabbit strip
Crawfish 1/8" rabbit strip
Med Bead Chain eyes
White Quill Body - barred
#25 Hard Mason weed guard.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Looks awesome Mike :thumbup: :thumbup:
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Jacknasty wrote:it's the guy that taught me how to fly fish about 6-7 years ago. He used to own a shop in Shalimar, moved to Crystal River, then came back about 6 months ago. He's in FWB now and kind of working out of a pawn shop here until he finds another location. This guy is absolutely unbelievable with a fly rod. I owe him a lot for all the free instruction and excellent fishing trips he's taken me on.

His name is Capt Paul Darby.
Ramon, I've taken Paul's deposition in that shop. Really nice guy. Had some great flies and photos laying around too.

Chalk, the critters are on the way . . .

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice flies Noleflyfisher :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jacknasty

Post by Jacknasty »

noleflyfisher wrote:Ramon, I've taken Paul's deposition in that shop. Really nice guy. Had some great flies and photos laying around too.

:thumbup: Him and Andy Mill get all the credit for me wanting/learning how to fly fish.

You ever get over to this area much anymore? Where do you usually fish?
Ramon
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Jacknasty wrote: You ever get over to this area much anymore? Where do you usually fish?
Not to fish unfortunately. I stick to Lanark Village pretty much.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Capt J.D. & Capt. Reggie where are you at on them hooks n' feathers? Get'r done :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jacknasty

Post by Jacknasty »

Jim,

I was sent to a conference until Wed and went into a panic trying to pack and get work stuff together for the trip. I'll put the flies in the mail first thing when I get back. Sorry for the delay
Ramon
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Your good, I was just checking on the captains, trying to make sure they were still in the channel :roll: :lol:
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Quick question for you flyfishing folks. These are some mighty tasty looking critters.............can you throw these flys with a spinning rod with 8 or 10 pound test? :D
"Plan for the worst."
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Ron Wilson wrote:Quick question for you flyfishing folks. These are some mighty tasty looking critters.............can you throw these flys with a spinning rod with 8 or 10 pound test? :D
You can, but you might not catch much throwing only a foot or so from the boat :lol:
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Chalk wrote:
Ron Wilson wrote:Quick question for you flyfishing folks. These are some mighty tasty looking critters.............can you throw these flys with a spinning rod with 8 or 10 pound test? :D
You can, but you might not catch much throwing only a foot or so from the boat :lol:
Figured as much, just needed confirmation. :D
"Plan for the worst."
Chalk

Re: BigBendFishing.net Fly Swap

Post by Chalk »

Chalk wrote:Anyone interested?

Rules of engagement:
1. Limit of six participants
2. Mail or hand deliver six flys in package suitable for return mail
3. Include return postage
4. Deadline for submitting flies is 07/13/07
5. Tied by person, no store bought flies

To summarize - You sign up, you tie six flies, mail or hand deliver to me, in a shipping container with return postage (even if you hand deliver)...when I receive all entries...six flies one from each participant will be sent out to each participant

Any takers?

Chalk - Redfish toad or Chernobyl Skrimp or Rabbit fur crab
Noleflyfisher - Mangrove critter or kwan
Capt J.D. - Dupree of the Dupree's spoon fly :roll: :lol:
Capt. Reggie - On Stand by
Jacknasty - flats bunny or rabbit strip epoxy minnow
Nolefear - flats bunnies or EP Baitfish
I got packages from three...I changed the due date to 07/13 a week earlier, if I don't have your packages by then you will be voted off the island :lol:
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

Chalk wrote:Capt J.D. & Capt. Reggie where are you at on them hooks n' feathers? Get'r done :thumbup: :thumbup:
:roll: Sorry, Chalk...I had to get some more materials to tie what I wanted (Orvis order & Tally Fly Shop) = I'm on it...get them out in the next few days, right away Boss Man!!! :o
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.