2007 5th Annual Everglades Report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

volguy

2007 5th Annual Everglades Report

Post by volguy »

Made the annual trip down to the everglades this past week for our father's day trip. this year was a mediocre trip. the snook bite was way off, the trout bite was non existent, tarpon were no where to be found and we caught redfish which has always been very hard in south florida for us. we were able to make it down this year for five long days of fishing. it was still a great trip.

after making the long trip down on tuesday and stopping at the new BASS PRO in ft myers (aaawwwweeeesssoooommmeeeee and HUGE) we were on the water first thing wednesday morning. we were able to find bait (pilchars and threadfins) after quite a while of looking. went to some spots that have produced lots and lots of snook in the past and ended the day with just a few snook. stopped at one spot and found a school of reds. caught five with three keepers for dinner. they were all twins at 20 inches and really enjoyed the GULP. hahahha i have no idea why, but i did not take any pics of the reds. :confused:

thursday we were on bait right away and in for 15 or so quick snook.

stopped at the redfish hole and had three snook, a rat red and a carpet mat flounder. he was a good one measuring 19 inches.

friday out early and the tide was still falling good. decided to try some topwater. my dad kept questioning whether snook would hit topwater. i had to show him they would. :D caught six and lost three in about 45 minutes. they were really hitting the plug i was throwing and they wouldn't touch any of the lures the other guys threw. bite slowed. out for some quick bait and off to a big fish hole. they were there.

this one was 13.5 lbs

we then proceeded to lose or break off many more in the 10-15 lb range. we landed 6 or 7 more smaller fish. very rough out front, so we headed in using the backcountry. this never gets old.

saturday more topwater but the bite was not near as good til late. we just never could get cosistent on the snook except in two holes and the fish that were there were very big, so the hook to land ratio was very low. they were ripping thru 40lb leader like it was thread. we did manage another 10 lb snook (my camera somehow reverted back to a setting that made all my pics as big as possible, so my memory card filled up and dad had to use his camera), a 5 lb goliath grouper (jewfish) and broke off three other snook that would have been close to 20 lbs.

sunday decided to target big fish hole only. ran out of bait at the first one and we must have broken off or lost 20 fish. it was just a really odd bite. i have never lost or seen other people lose so many fish. we landed around 10 and had another one that was dead on 10 lbs. very rough again out front so we headed in the back for some action before calling it a trip. we caught three snook, a nice 23 inch red for dinner and two short trout....all on topwater. great fun.

headed back monday. all in all, it was another great trip. it is a great place, but a trip that is always the most technical trip as far as everything having to be just right that you can take in the fishing arena. the whole day revolves around being at each spot at the right time and at the right tide. i still never get tired of it and always look forward to heading to the everglades.

hopefully back down to the econ before long.
bman

Post by bman »

What a great trip!
With all the South Florida trips guys are posting about I getting the bug!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Looks sweet. :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Someday ,sometime, I will catch a snook!!! Great Trip, Im envious :-)
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Great trip. I wanna go.
What was I supposed to do today?
Sea Spot

Post by Sea Spot »

Great trip,from what i've seen fishing for snook on top water is awesome.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Great trip, and I can tell you from experience, a snook will wear out a topwater plug.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

CT , you wouldnt know a snook if it bit you in the arse!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

If you need a water boy next time I'll go that is to cool I got to say I am just a little green with envy. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Look out CT if I understand the last post I think BB is about to get attacked by Snook.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

great report! You make me want to trailer my boat South to try to catch some snook! :thumbup:
Boom goes the dynamite.
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Nice pictures!
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Great trip. Nice report.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

That sounds like a great trip. Great pics and even better fishing :thumbup: :thumbup:
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
volguy

glades

Post by volguy »

it is a great place. casey and mess, if you any of you guys ever want to go, just let me know. i am always looking for an excuse to head down there. it is just a long darn trip (11 hours from here). man it is worth it though.
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

:thumbup: Excellent report and awesome pictures, volguy! :lick:
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.