Don't even bother?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Just called to JR'S to get a feel for shrimp availability and was told by an employee that the fish are gone and no one is catching anything.

Any truth to this Tom or other seasoned veterans of the Aucilla?

I really would like the straight dope before I drive over 100 miles and waste a day. I don't mind not catching fish but I will have my 9yr old son with me, anyone that has children will know what I mean.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Fish are gone? Hardly. Tough Fishing? Probably.

They really got hit hard during the week after Xmas and New Years so they are probably a bit shy. I can't promise anything though. We also heard reports of slow catches when we were limiting everyday so take that with a grain of salt.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

thanks Tom.

Like they say and I tend to agree...

A BAD DAY OF FISHING IS MUCH BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY WORKING.

AMEN.
Bay Slammer

Post by Bay Slammer »

Fished Aucilla yesterday from 10:00 until 2:30pm. Caught 0 trout saw about 6 caught in the 20 or so boats around us. Used topwater, jigs, live shrimp, cut bait, and the kitchen sink. Did manage to catch 4 keeper black drum. Make sure everything on the boat is in order because the law will be waitng for you when you return to the ramp.
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Slammer,
You catch 'em drums on shrimp?

What are FMP looking for in particular?
Bay Slammer

Post by Bay Slammer »

Dewyafish,

Yes we caught the black drums on live shrimp on a jig head fished on the bottom. The FMP checked fishing licenses, fish, boat registration, life vests,and safety gear. I wasn't in my boat but the guy I was with received a warning for a torn throw cushion.
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Slammer,
Seems a little trivial but the rules are the rules. What is the creel size limits on the drum.

Only problem I have is wallet was stolen a few weeks ago and the wheels at the DNR in GA turn very slow. Reistration is current on hull though. Whatcha think?