Sharkman Birthday Trip

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Sharkman Birthday Trip

Post by big bend gyrene »

Took Sharkman out of Econfina this morning for an inshore/near-shore birthday trip. Could see some clouds from the river but water was nice, making for a beautiful sunrise.

Once we hit the outer edge of the mouth, the water was a bit more choppy and we could see by the look of the clouds ringing the bay that rain might be likely in the near future ;-)

The questionable weather kept us in the 6' to 10' depths but the action was fair. Being Sharkman's b-day I caught baitfish while he fished for game fish. Using a pinfish floated via cajun thunder behind the boat, Sharkman had a fun fight on light tackle against a big bluefish weighing in somewhere between 3 to 4 pounds. Sharkman also caught a small shark, keeping his bulletin board signature name earned :-D

We hopped around between rain and lightning to keep the day going and got three big surprises. One was a summer grouper in a bit closer than we expected :D Granted he was a little short but wasn't out far at all.

Second biggest surprise came when Sharkman pointed to something in the distance he was concerned might be a struggling craft or person... from a distance it looked like we were seeing a bright metal object so we quickly boated over to make sure all was ok. Lo and behold, it's a set of freaking aged BIRTHDAY balloons !!! :o :D Sharkman got a real kick out of the balloons and repeatedly joked that I must have worked out some secret plan with his wife to float them out there just for him on his special day :lol:

The balloons might have been the biggest surprise of the day if not for a 30 minute fight with a big cobe at days end :o We were eying a storm that pretty much drove sensible folks in after lunchtime and questioning our sanity for casting lines from my t-top lightning rod, when Sharkman's line began to sing!

About a half hour later the birthday meal is in the boat, the edge of the nasty storm is directly over our heads, and we're off to the races! Sharkman and I usually fish alternating Friday's due to our schedule and we both were surprised at the volume of Saturday scallopers at Econfina (we both knew St. Marks grew nuts but hadn't yet seen it at Econfina). Crazy at the ramp, with a small flotilla pulled up against the rocks debating whether or not to wait out the rain and about 10 other boats (all of dramatically differing sizes) weaving and dancing in circles around one another at the dock. Really was a lucky day for Sharkman, as within minutes of loading up, the heavens REALLY opened up and delivered some blessed rain.

Hope the birthday was a memorable one for you Sharkman, and that you have many more ahead.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Nice cobe :thumbup:
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

So, you CAN have your cake and eat it too :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Congrats :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

good report. :thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks for posting.
GULP! free since 1970.
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Nice sunrise photo!
bballchrism

Post by bballchrism »

sweet day
Sharkman

My Birthday Trip!

Post by Sharkman »

Big Bend Gyrene,
Thanks for the pics! That was a great birthday on the water. Thanks for putting me on the fish, as usual, captain. :D

PS My wife swears that she had nothing to do with the balloons, although she thought it was pretty neat! :D
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Sweet cobe for sure :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Nice. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?