DoughNut Fishing

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

DoughNut Fishing

Post by Fish Masterson »

3-4 years ago me and a few friends went out on a pontoon boat to do a little trout catchin. It was in the middle of the summer, can't remember which month, but it was during that slow time when the sea surface temp was over 80 degrees and the fishin was real slow. Well, things weren't going the way we expected and the cooler wasn't gettin full, so we started to get impatient. We started moving around a bunch figuring sooner or later we would fall in the "super" hole, and just load the boat. Well, every time we moved to a new spot, as soon as we switched off the motor, we would usually catch a fish on the first or second cast, and then it would go dead again, so we would drift on until we got bored, and move again. Guess what, the same thing kept happening! Directly, I mentioned that we should just fire up the motor, cut a big ole doughnut, switch off and catch a fish. Of course, I almost got laughed off the boat for suggesting something so silly, but after another 10 or so minutes of drifting and not catching, we had that pontoon boat cutting circles left and right and every where in between. Nearly very time we stopped, we would boat a fish, and then we would fire that motor up again.
Well I know that this sounds like a silly story, but it happened just the way I told it. I guess it had something to do with the prop mixing in all that fresh oxygen into the water, and momenterily causing a mini-feeding frenzy, triggering those trout to bite, but I'm no expert and I haven't tried it since. So I guess, the moral of this story is that you never can tell what will make those fish bite sometimes, but if all else fails, here's an extreme method to try.
P.S. No animals "fish or human" were harmed in the events listed in the above story! Except for the lips of a few trout.
Good luck on the water, Fishmasterson
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

FM, What part of Texas are you from? :roll: Only a Texan could come up with a fish story that good. It'll be easy to spot someone from this site now. Just watch for the crazy ones out there cutting donuts in the bay.
Then you'll see ole Fish Masterson off a piece rolling in the boat laughing. :wink:
Semper Fi
rocket
Site Sponsor

doughnut fishing

Post by rocket »

I thought you were going to tell the story about the time you forgot the bait, and used that dozen glazed you brought for breakfast!!! :D :D :D
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Now, Rocket, I ain't given away all my secrets, so you hush up!
Fish Masterson
P.S. When you gonna fund that fishing trip you owe me.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I appreciate that this could be a "leg pull", but there is a sense of truth in the idea.

When freshwater fishing for some species, we will rake the bottom quite aggressively, about 30 minutes before we fish.
This guarantees some hectic fishing.
The disturbance attracts the fish,s curiosity and the stirred up natural feed does the rest.

I know you couldn,t rake the grass on the flats, but the agitation from the propellor must stir up the natural food.

Aren,t catfish supposed to be attracted to the idling rhythm, of some outboard motors ?

There could be a whole science here that needs investigating.
Or it could be a "leg pull". :lol:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Crane, maybe not a leg pull. Just another Snipe related theory. :lol:
Semper Fi
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Cranfield, you're on the right track for sure. I told the story from truth, just the way it happened, but wasn't going to argue with anyone to make them believe. I am not a scientist, nor a pro-fisherman, so I cannot tell you the reason that it happened, only my theory of why it happened, which I stated in the original post. But I can tell you now that Csmarine has a good point too, in that I would laugh my *** off if I saw someone pulling such a maneuver, so I guess everyone can take this post however they want too, but the idea is fairly sound, in that it is possible to stir up a feeding frenzy when you add fresh oxygen to oxygen deprived water over 80 degrees. So, if you see a big aluminum boat, with a guy with a crazy hat on and a black lab sittin on the bow cuttin circles, try to give me a little leeway!
Thanks,FishMasterson
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey FM, I will be watching for your boat. You won't see me do it, cause it does make sense. I know a place in the backwater hardly anyone goes to. I spect I'll get back there and try it out. :lol: When you think on it, you always seem to get a bite as soon as you stop the boat and then not another one for a while. In public, I think I'll make short hops instead of donuts though. Wouldn't have to worry about someone getting in your drift would you. :wink:
Semper Fi
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Hope you guys are in deep enough water, so you don't tear up the sea grass! :wink:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Fish that way at Econfina and you'll tear up more than sea grass. :o
Semper Fi
fishnnut

Post by fishnnut »

It really does work!

My Uncle who was a commercial fishermen years ago when he was still alive taught me that trick way back when. He'd often times cut a donut wide open in his boat and then we'rd immediatly proceed to load the boat.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

MANNNN, talk about a blast from the past :-D :thumbup: :smt004 :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
fishnnut

Post by fishnnut »

I hear ya, though funny thing is it was still on the first page.... :wink: :-D
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

SEE! And ya'll thought I made it up. :o
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

CSMarine wrote:FM, What part of Texas are you from? :roll: Only a Texan could come up with a fish story that good. It'll be easy to spot someone from this site now. Just watch for the crazy ones out there cutting donuts in the bay.
Then you'll see ole Fish Masterson off a piece rolling in the boat laughing. :wink:
Texans or Coonazzes :smt036