Diver dies after lightning hits air tank near Deerfield Beac

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Diver dies after lightning hits air tank near Deerfield Beac

Post by Sir reel »

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- A 36-year-old diver was killed after lightning struck his air tank, authorities said.

The man, whose name was not immediately released, was diving with three others off a boat near Deerfield Beach on Sunday, when a severe thunderstorm warning was in effect in the area.

When he surfaced, "lighting struck his tank," said Deerfield Beach fire Chief Gary Fernaays. "He was approximately 30 feet from the boat at the time."

The three other divers struggled to get the man back into the boat and radioed for help. The man was then rushed to the beach where a rescue crew was waiting. He was given CPR and taken to North Broward Medical Center in Pompano Beach, where he was pronounced dead, Fernaays said.

The Broward County Medical Examiner's Office planned an autopsy to determine if the man died by electrocution or drowning.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

BUMMER :cry:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Diver dies after lightning hits air tank near Deerfield

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Sir reel wrote: The Broward County Medical Examiner's Office planned an autopsy to determine if the man died by electrocution or drowning.

Like it is gonna make any difference to the guy... :smt009

Dubble :(
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.