Bait question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

There was a guy fishing with live eels other day over at Jim Woodruff dam. Does anyone know of any bait shops around here that sell them?

Thanks,
Wil
Fish Hawk

Post by Fish Hawk »

Hey Wil I saw your picture with those big channel cats, you and Tom and Tom's Dad had quite a day. I wonder what kind of eel the guy was using? I know the Cobia guys down in Destin and PC use sand eels to catch cobia. Was he using sand eels do you think? :???:
Save some for later.
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

I was wondering the same thing ...did u get the chance to look at the eels he was using?

Don't know where you can buy them, but have occasionally caught them with rotten shrimp while fishing for cats.
Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

I didn't see them, since I was down at the boat ramp rigging lines while Tom and his dad were up there castnetting bait.

Tom, do you know what kind they were?

Wil
BBOB

Post by BBOB »

MASHES SANDS ON 98 USUALLY HAS EELS.
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

Hey, that was a good article. How far is that Mashes Sands bait shop from Tallahassee? Does anyone know of any place closer to Chattahoochee that would carry eels? The article that phish-n-fool posted a link to says that they'll keep a couple of days, so I guess I could run out to Mashes Sands and pick some up the day before.

Wil
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Wil,

Mashes Sands BP is just before you get to the Panacea Bridge on the left. It's about a 45 minute drive from here.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Gray Fins

Post by Gray Fins »

I talked to the gentleman fishing with eels at the dam. He said he was ordering them from up north.
Also, He was using the eels cut into strips when I went by. He may use them live but not while I was up there. :smile:

Gray Fins :smile:
Team Outlaw

Post by Team Outlaw »

This may or may not help you guys. If you go to the Apalachicola National Forest u can catch as many eels as u want . Go to the swap and go to the New River bridge .The bridge has been blown up so be careful. Go about dark and walk the boards to the section that the drug aggents did not blow up . Use pond worms and use a cat fish rig .U will catch butter cat warmouth and about as many eels as u can stand .Some of the eels may get to lengths of four feet. Hope that might help ya'll