How you clean your Trout

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BOWD UP

Trout Bellies

Post by BOWD UP »

The best thing to do with those trout bellies is to freeze them and save them for cut bait. They make and excellent trailer for any lure, or straight on a hook under a cajun thunder. I've have lotss of sucess with trout bellies!

BOWD UP!
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

What about the lawman and the rule that all game fish must remain in whole condition while on the boat? Seems like that could get sticky.
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Yea that could be a problem, tring to convince the man you caught these before and this is my bait.
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I have figured out a new method of dealing with the ribcages and bellies. I leave them on the fillet. When I get ready to cook them I cut the fillets in half and let my wife eat all the boneless ass ends and I eat the thick ends with the bones in them. :lick:
Ken
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

BOWD UP, That is a good idea though. I use the belly of Pinfish the same way.
Semper Fi
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I fillet it then skin and cut ribs out. But then I like to cut it in half and then finger it long ways. I then fry them in Louisianna fish fry, from Publix or Walmart, It's in a blue bag with a catfish on it. Yummy...... :-D :-D :-D
kikstand454

Re: How you clean your Trout

Post by kikstand454 »

bringing up another old post here. sorry. i just clean trout like i would a panfisf. head off and scaled and gutted. i then stuff the cavity with butter garlic and lemon and wrap them in foil. tada! done. they cook forever like this but i typically do this camping or on the grill. if you cook them long enough, the skin pulls off on the foil and the back bone and 99% of the bones can be pulled out of the meat in one pull. *shrug*
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Re:

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Tom Keels wrote:I fillet, skin and cut the ribcage out. I feed my kids so I like to give them a boneless skinless fish finger to eat.
No wonder Ive been having such a hard time with the trout!!!! Big T's been cuttin their fingers off so they cant pick up my lures!!!!! :smt009 :smt009 :smt009 :-D
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

knock the scales off, fillet. fry up the back bones with tails on. fries up good and crispy :lick:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Cook'em whole and I give the kids a spoon to dig out the guts and other things they don't like to eat :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Hula Popper

I wanna know...

Post by Hula Popper »

.... what CSMarine does with the heads!

Or ... maybe I don't.
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Post by GAJOEY »

I do it like this ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXmhuxjLEOs

It is just easier and a little less messy and the kids don't get close to the bones
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

light weight knife...fillet, skin and cut ribcage. Don't cut all the way through the tail so you can hold onto the whole fish while skinning. Makes the skinning process much easier.

Anyone eat trout rowe? We used to fry bass rowe sometimes when I was kid. I tried trout once and it didn't go so well. Now I just flip 'em to the chocolate garbage disposal; no wonder that dog likes fishing so much...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Years ago we ate everything edible on any fish. Now we have so many fish we filet,skin,debone and eat bonelss skinless fish filets. Fried or broiled. Exception is flounder. Scaled and broiled. Bream. Fried whole and headless. Mullet scaled and butterflied and fried or scales on and butterflied and smoked.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I use an electric knife. Cut it at the gills cut through the rib cage down to the tail, leave a little connected and flip it. Skin it and then take the ribs out. Takes about 30 seconds a trout. :thumbup: