Happy Hippy New Year At Bald Point 4/20

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DuctTapeKing

Happy Hippy New Year At Bald Point 4/20

Post by DuctTapeKing »

Well yall hope its not too long winded. Got up at the crack of 10:00am. Went to church and had some lunch. It was My wife and my 1st year annerversy, Easter, Hippy New year, and the Last day of my fishing license being good. I tell ya thats a good way to remember your anniversary. We figured we take the 5 month old boy to the beach for the first time. So we loaded up and made it there about 3:30pm. Ofcourse I was in no rush knowing that high tide was about 5:45. There were about 10 fisherpeople fishing from shore and 5-6 out on the bars. The water was not only tanic, as it has been for the pass few weeks, but it was also dirty. So I rigged up a chartruse 1/4oz jig head, with a bright green and pink assassin, with glitter in it, under a bobbin cork ofcourse. I made it out to the first bar and started fishing. First ten minutes I was there down went the cork and off peeled the line. I was sure it was a big red by the way it pulled so hard and seemed to stay close to the bottom. Luckily it wasn't ( who wouldda ever thunk I would say that). Well I only said that because it was a 28 1/2 trout. My biggest Trout yet. If it had been a red back to the mating grounds it would have gone. I fished that bar for another 45 minutes and caught another fat 19 inch trout. I had about 30 minutes till high tide and just knew the fishing was about to go off. Then I heard it. The scream of a 5 month old baby boy 200 yards away haveing about as much as he could stand of his mother....or maybe it was the sand in his shorts. Anyway headed back to the beach with a big grin on my face. I talked to a bunch of fisherman doing the shore fishing thing..all wanting to know what I was using. I told them. Everyone I spoke to were using live shrimp and not a one had any praises to sing about their bait of choice. I did see a lot of bait moving through and as I left there were some big schools of mullet crusing over the bars. Well thats it....Oh yeah What a great way to end my first year with my wife!!!!
jmay
Site Sponsor

Post by jmay »

great report ... but obviously your wife does'nt proof your posts :lol: :lol:
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Nice trout!
woman loves to fish

what a way to end a beautiful day

Post by woman loves to fish »

was going to go to bald point but by the time the family thing was over it was 5, the rush would have prob been over, .. do you go to the first oysterbar off the beachor do you go to the left of the dock at that oyster bar? good day at the point, going today at 3ish. hopefully some luck might try your methed? what is a popin cork anyway, like a bober right? still a little green, but learningg, thks again for the st. george fishing info to..... ann :roll: :D :D
ann
DuctTapeKing

Post by DuctTapeKing »

If your standing on the dock head right down the beach about 150 yards. Then straight out. Look for the waves breaking over the bar, and have some polorized glasses, and an old pair of tennis shoes. Close to high tide it gets a little deep about half way out. About 4-6 feet. But if you just take it slow and do the stingray shuffel you should be alright. Any of the oyster bars out that way should work with varying degrees depending on the day. A bobbin cork, some call it a cajain thunder, poppin cork, or other things. It's basically a cork on about 5 inches of straight wire so that it will slide up and down. The concept is to jerk your line so the cork turns on it side. Make about a 5-8 count and the cork will be righting itself into an up and down possition. The jig, or shrimp will be pulled up and down behind it. One of the good things about those is that ya don't have to cast all day long. The majority of the day is spent working the cork. The bad thing about them is once you have tied it on you can't adjust you jig depth without retying. I personilly like my jig to be about 1- 1 1/2 feet long. You might want to go to bald point sometime when the tide is low so you can see most of the bars and plan a rout you want to take to them and across them. Well I hope these help.
woman loves to fish

Post by woman loves to fish »

well we went out yesterday, and went to the bar(it was high) at about 3-4 pm and me and my hubbie worked some jigs under a thunder, went further right to the grass flats ,no luck, worked our way back to the bar and caught a couple ladyfish but nothing else.. stayed till 545 and it got cool and kinda nasty real choppy no luck thoough.. but thanks for all the info.... :P :P
ann