Alligator Point 4/27/03

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point 4/27/03

Post by fish finder »

I finally got all of the conditions and the people on the boat to make the grouper video that Capt. Randle and I have been trying to put together for about 6 months, on Sunday. The anglers were Randle and Ed Hightower along with 2 camera people as we headed out the reef to get some pinfish. This time we made sure that we loaded the livewell before making the run southeast to some of my honey holes. The action is still fantastic! I made three stops and at each one the bite was immediate and almost nonstop for about an hour. Ed and Randle did all of the catching as I handle the mate duties. They caught AND RELEASED alot of keeper grouper including 3 fish over 15 lbs, for the sake of the video. I know I am going to catch hell when ya'll see this video. They also put their limit in the box. They caught fish until we ran out of live bait. Didn't drop one dead bait and no trolling. This show should air on the local Fox network sometime this fall.
The conditions were a little rocky at first because of the confused seas caused by the southerly swells and north wind but the afternoon was beautiful. Visability was about 20-25 ft. Water temp was almost 70 in 52-56ft of water. Of course the bait was live pinfish.
If you can find some good natural bottom, drop a live pinner down and you should be rewarded.

Till next time,
Capt. Jay
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Capt Jay, congrats on a good day.

Its quite common to hear that the fish didn,t cooperate, when the cameras are around.
Its nice to hear a "plan" that worked. :)