Fly fishing school_Bahamas fishing

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Capt_J

Fly fishing school_Bahamas fishing

Post by Capt_J »

I've been to an O'vs fly fishing school........they know how to do it.
For those with the desire to go to the Bahamas and do some premier bone fishing, and get a little expert help along the way, take a look at the attached link.

http://www.orvis.com/intro_newwindow.as ... 006&bhcp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jmlockwood

Re: Fly fishing school_Bahamas fishing

Post by jmlockwood »

That really is a good deal. I wanted to take the trip but all of those dates are during legislative session. We ended up renting a house on Harbour Island for May. You wouldn't know any good bonefish guides down there? I have tried Jermaine Johnson but he has yet to get in touch with us.

Also, another good trip is the June tarpon trip to Mexico that Vaughn Cochran is hosting. They are going to Holbox, Mexico for some BIG migratory tarpon. The trip is 4 days fishing and costs around $1800 plus airfare to Cancun. The island is west of the Yucatan and has approximately 1700 people. It is literally a tarpon fishing village.
Capt_J

Post by Capt_J »

I don't know a bonefish guide I would recommend. I do know some people near the area you are renting. I'll make a few calls and see if I can get you some info.
The Tarpon trip sounds awesome. I used to fly fish for Tarpon, a lotta work... I've fished tarpon all over; never in Holbox. Do they wade fish or from a boat (I suspect both)?
June is tied up for me; I hope your trip goes great and would love to see some pictures.
Capt_J

Post by Capt_J »

Mr. Johnson is good (I'm told), if you can't reach him;
Give Paul a try. I have not used Paul's services but he comes recommended.

Paul Petty's phone is:
1-242-332-2963
Call 6:30 to 7 a.m. or 9 p.m. to mid-night.

Web page, if you need.
http://www.discover-eleuthera-bahamas.c ... hamas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jmlockwood

Post by jmlockwood »

The Holbox trip is mainly fishing from panga's. I have heard that some people elect to take the golf-cart around the island and do some wade-fishing on their own because the guide drops you back around 2:00. However, most people say that you will want to have a painkiller and a couple of beers after mixing it up with the tarpon.
Capt_J

Post by Capt_J »

jmlockwood wrote:The Holbox trip is mainly fishing from panga's. I have heard that some people elect to take the golf-cart around the island and do some wade-fishing on their own because the guide drops you back around 2:00. However, most people say that you will want to have a painkiller and a couple of beers after mixing it up with the tarpon.

Now that is a shame: having to force yourself to take pain meds and drink beer because you hurt yourself catching tarpon.