Duck & Geese Recipes Help

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jon Boat

Duck & Geese Recipes Help

Post by Jon Boat »

I shot some green heads and geese up in Alabama this weekend. Anyone have any good recipes I should try. I have good amount of meat so I need something that will use up the meat.

I was thinking about smoking some it or making some kind of gumbo.

Any thoughts?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Duck & Geese Recipes Help

Post by MudDucker »

I don't eat geese. Folks I know cook them like a roast.

Greenheads are good table fare. I cook as follows:

Clean and soak ducks in light brine with vinegar for 2-3 hours to remove excess blood.

Marinade overnight in a mixture of orange juice, apple juice and white wine. Stuff birds cavity with celery, place birds back into the marinade in a covered roaster, put cut up apples around the birds, cover and cook at 350 until done. Done is a matter of taste. My folks like them falling off of the bone and depending on the number of birds, this could take a couple of hours. I usually checked the birds every hour and turned them over.

Another friend cuts mallard breasts into strips, soaks in Dales Sauce for 20 minutes and then rolls in flower and cooks in peanut oil in pan until brown.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Re: Duck & Geese Recipes Help

Post by Reel Slow »

For the mallards,

Breast em with the skin on. Salt and pepper and a bit of Chinese Five Spice...just a little.

Slice some green peppers and onions. Spice the same, perhaps a little soy sauce.

In a hot iron skillet, put them skin down in some peanut oil and a bit of sesame oil to give a nutty flavor.

Cook for 5 min on a side max! - you want them rare in the middle - I like blood on my plate, but it don't need to be that rare. The skin should brown and be crispy on the outside....hmmmm.

Remove ducks, add onions and peppers, till cooked.

Serve over rice.

The sesame oil and 5-spice is the key.