Seeking Advise, Which 5, 6, or 7?

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Seeking Advise, Which 5, 6, or 7?

Post by Littoral »

I have one fly rod, it's an 8 & I'm happy with it. It's a TFO TiCr X. I always prefer the lighest gear I can use (and not over stress fish) so I'm thinking about a lighter fly rod & my guess is that a 6 is the logical next choice for flats.
Yes? No?
Second, of course, money matters. That's why I only have 1 fly rod, and a kayak for that matter. My guess is that when conditions allow a 6 then I can afford a "lesser" rod. Yes? No? Any suggestions on where to find a rod would help a lot. I've been hunting eBay and since I'm happy with the TFO I'm considering their pro series. That would run less than $150.00, not counting the reel. I haven't thought much about that yet.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by Littoral on January 23rd, 2008, 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Chalk

Re: Seeking Advise, Which 5, 6, or 7?

Post by Chalk »

I would say a six....I have a 7 and want a 9, but I found a nice 10..trying to decide which I want.

My understanding is the TFO PROF is a slower rod than the TICR..as long as you understand that and can adapt your casting style to the rods you should be happy with it.

On a side note, there have been some discussion as to TFO underrating their rods, meaning if you get a 6 and it's not working for you, a 7 wt line might make it better.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Capt Ron wrote:The longer you fly fish the more needs you will develop. :wink:
Evidently. :D
Chalk wrote:On a side note, there have been some discussion as to TFO underrating their rods, meaning if you get a 6 and it's not working for you, a 7 wt line might make it better.

So my first thought would be to consider uplining to 9 line on my 8 weight. I'd considered that anyway but hadn't heard anything about TFO underrating their rods.
Thanks.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I'm at the same point. I have an 8 wt. TiCr X and Need a 6. I would get the TiCrX in the 6. much faster rod that may help you keep it out of the rod holder longer when the wind does pick up...
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Barhopper, have you uplined your 8?
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

no. Lit. I can feel the rod load fine on the backcast and figure if I can routinely cast out to about 50', why break it if it aint broke. Although it's apples and oranges, I love the tenny tarpon line on my 12wt. I may try a tenny on the 8wt.
Last edited by Barhopr on January 23rd, 2008, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VIVA la BT

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

There is a belief that all rod makers underrate their rods to a degree. There are opinions on over lining as well. I overlined my 7 wt with 9 wt....it threw it, but it was too much and made the rod soggy.....I want to try an 8 wt line on my 7 wt.

I read on another forum about a person that more or less hated the TFO 6 wt until he overlined it with 7 wt, he prefers it over his sage now for bonefish.

I say start with a 6 and then start accumulating all the even numbers from 2 to 12, then start on the odd.

I wish to have a wall like this one day :smt007 :smt007 :lol:
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Chalk wrote:I read on another forum about a person that more or less hated the TFO 6 wt until he overlined it with 7 wt, he prefers it over his sage now for bonefish.
Uh Oh. You might guess that amped the "gotta have one" meter.
That said, I'm still waitng for our resident "Sage" to weigh in.
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Definitely a six. I fish my 6 almost exclusively. I pick up the 8 if the wind is 15-20. I have a seven and nine in the boat that don't get touched.

Overlining is really rod specific. My RPLX 8 can handle a nine weight line very well. My RPLXi 6 cannot be overlined. Don't know much about TFO.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Let me know when you get one Lit. I figure if you get one, then I need to get one too. 8) 8)
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Sage says 6 so that's what it will be.
Eerman, I'll certanly let everybody know.
Hopefully after I have pics with fish. :thumbup:
TallyFly

Post by TallyFly »

The Federation of Fly Fishers and the FL Council are sponsoring a National Fly Fishing Expo in Lakeland the end of March. You will have an opportunity to sample many company's rod to decide which you like. You will have an opportunity to purchase one at a good price too. From the FBBF web site at http://www.fbbflyfishers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, click on the FFF logo on the left and view the info.

FBBF will be participating in the St Marks Heritage Day on Saturday, Feb 2 at the Federal Wildlife Area. We will have a number of different rods there that you can try. That would be a good time to ask the FFF Certified Master Caster Instructor for his opinion and maybe even get a few tips on other issues. Of course, we would like to have you join us also. For a limited time, the cost for dual membership in both FFF & FBBF is only $25 for the first year.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Making plans to be in Lakeland in March Tally. Also, what is the cost of joining Big bend FF if I am already a member of FFF. Also, are there any plans to have a FFF sponsored rod building class? I know of at least 5-6 new members you could pick up if one was to be held.
VIVA la BT

Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

I have a TFO TiCr X 6 wt. For the money, it's a nice rod. I prefer using it for reds over my 8 wt, but weather doesn't always permit. I've got SA Saltwater Taper 6wt floating line on it, and it throws just fine. I haven't tried overlining it, but I've heard from several people that seem to think that TFO's are a bit underrated, and that overlining them by one wt is beneficial. I just bought SA Redfish Taper for my 8 wt, and it does seem to load the rod faster, vs. the Saltwater Taper. However, I've only practiced with it in the front yard, so I'm not sure how it will perform on the water yet.