St. George Island (general update)

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eat_mo_crawfish

St. George Island (general update)

Post by eat_mo_crawfish »

Just an FYI, no surprises I'm sure, but the surf fishing on the south side of the island is very quiet right now. An occasional whiting may wander by, but that's about it, just too cold I'm guessing. Flounders and a red every now-and-then are on the bay side by the bars when there's enough water, which has been an issue on most recent weekends.

Fishing off of the bridge is a bit better, at least as far as keeping you busy rebaiting your hooks. Silver perch and little grunt are everwhere and hungry, along with a few sea bass. I keep hearing that sheepshead are being caught, but none were on either of the last three Sundays within sight of me. Two weeks ago we did see 3 manta rays swim by, which I thought was bit unusual for this time of year.

Gonna try again this weekend, maybe those sheepshead will actually be biting.
Seachaser

Re: St. George Island (general update)

Post by Seachaser »

When do the pompano make their run? We fished in the surf last Feb. and nada.
swsapalachicola

Post by swsapalachicola »

Fished south side saturday morning between 6:30 am to 8:30 am and caught 4 trout (three keepers) all on artificial.
geno

Post by geno »

Fished the surf side as SGI last week 3-4 days... Good numbers of trout and Pomp... and of course whiting out the yazoo... All on shrimp and bottom.