Lanark Offshore 1-20-2001

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Was able to get out Sunday with Joefisher and Redmann. Left Lanark at about 7:45 got out to the ledges and proceded to feed Lys to the local rock bass population for most of the day. Nearly all the spots we hit showed fish but most were only shorts and rockies. Joe got a nice 26" gag and Redmann a 23" gag. We each lost some fish. The bite was nearly imperceptable. The big rock bass were very cooperative however and we ended up keeping 28 good size ones.

Seas were 2-3 to start out, then built to 3-5, then back to slick calm by 1:30. The deepest we fished was 45 feet, shallowest was 32. Water temp was a consistant 58° all day.

With the warmer weather predicted for this week, Next weekend should be interesting if the weather will let us get out.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Did you try for the stripers yesterday Tom?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Negative. Got home and was whooped. Got up the next morning and the weather reinforced the decision to stay home. My dad did OK though. 6 Stripers to 8 pounds, 9 hybrids and a speckled perch.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Grouperdave

Post by Grouperdave »

Tom, how many shorties were in the 20-21 7/8 inches range? If you kept two my guess is there were at least four more you could have kept before the new regs went into effect. Am I close?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I would say closer to six or eight could have been kept, but I am glad the restrictions are in place. I want my son to be able to catch grouper when he is my age.
Tom Keels
Site Founder