2/24 February Cobia

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

2/24 February Cobia

Post by Littoral »

It is February, right? :D
I went looking for redfish and had only found one after 3 hours. It was a 26 so I was happy enough.
Before I made my paddle back to the landing I re-tied my jig. I only did it because it had been on most of the day and as soon as the thought crossed my mind I knew it would bother me too much if I didn't. When it seperates or the hook straightens out I know who's fault it is.
I was using 20lb flouro, 10lb PowerPro, and a 2500 Stradic. I've been using 14lb leader most of the winter but I sized up because of the cloudy water. I always use jigs with strong hooks and this time it was one of the new 1/8th oz Strike Kings they have at WallyWorld. Nice jigs. My favorite jig though is MIkes 1/16th oz. Maybe Advantage will get some because nobody else has them closer than Half Hitch.
I had on a pink sparkle Redfish Magic plastic tail. They're the same as the old 3X Strike Kings that aren't around anymore. Great baits with great action. They suspend on 1/16oz jigs like a 52M MirroLure. They'll also hold up for hours against a pack of Spanish. Wally usually has white ones but the pink came from Cabelas.
The fish.
I returned to what I thought would be the best spot but the 2 previous passes hadn't produced.
I'd seen small baits intermittently all day and never did figure out what they were (~1inch).
I cast toward the shallow edge of a bar in less than 2 feet and it was on. First guess was a big red but after 20 seconds and my drag still screaming I started to guessing what else it could be. I wondered if I'd adjusted my drag too light for some reason but no, the fish was just strong and fast. Then I saw it break water and knew it wasn't a Red. I considered Rinosaurus. At one point I had to put a lot of pressure on it to turn it back away from the bar. Fortunately it did turn.
Most of the fight was in 2 feet of water and it took about 15 minutes to get it close enough to see that it was a Cobia. It took 15 more minutes to get it in. By then it was wore out so it wasn't a problem in the kayak. I got it in by wrapping my fish towel around its tail. There was another boat nearby and they were nice enough to take a picture.
I've caught Cobia but it's usually with a big stick out of a big boat.
The odds were a little more balanced this time.
Balanced enough to add up to 100 percent kick ass fun.

Just shy of 40".
Last edited by Littoral on February 5th, 2009, 7:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Re: 2/24 Lanark

Post by Eerman »

Been killing me all day looking at all this sunshine, then you go and post something like that...thanks alot :lol:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

very nice lit. first cobia of the year :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Nice catch lit, thats some good fresh eats at the end of Feb. Man really good fish out of a Yak! :thumbup: :beer:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Awesome job Lit :thumbup: :thumbup:
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

That's awsome. Global warming is cool :thumbup: :thumbup:
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Nice. Cobia in the yak in February! :thumbup: :thumbup: Glad you got out today. It was beautiful.
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Bet that was a fun fight, how far Ya get dragged :thumbup: :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

AWESOME, Littoral !!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: One of my favorite eating fish and the fish I target most in warm weather, as I love the fight they give. Hope you tell the story soon! Looking forward to hearing it...

BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I've seen what them things will do to a center cosole so how bad did it tear up the yak??
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Awesome !! :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Very nice Lit :thumbup:

We saw a 7' shark yesterday in the shallows, seemed early
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Awesome, I love that Global Warming. Can't wait til the Snook come up this year.
Mr Flats

Post by Mr Flats »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: