Yall know what really burns my azz???

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Yall know what really burns my azz???

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

A FLAME ABOUT THREE FOOT HIGH!!! :smt005 Now thats funny! No , what really burns me up is that we are being raped at the fuel pumps each and every day and there is absolutely NOTHING we can do about it. You dont see anyone on the news talking of ways to make fuel prices receed, nor any hope of a break in the near future. My fuel costs have grown by 250% in the last 30 months. Our country will no longer be ours sooner than later if something isnt done. I just wondered what you guys think about it? I was talking to Bow'd tonight and he told me it now costs him 125.00 just to fill his truck one time. My delivery trucks now cost 100.00 to fill and we fill up usually four to eight times a week. My personal truck costs about eighty bucks to fill up , up from what I thought was an astonishing amount at 52.00 when I bought it in June 2007. What do you guys suppose the solution is?? Is it our government? is it the Oil companies? I have a friend who just returned from the Virgin Islands. He said on the Dutch side, gas was 1.78 /gallon. On the French side, it was 87 cents/gallon. He said they met a couple from England who had been paying between 7 and 8 bucks a gallon for a long time. I know it is a difficult equation and I am definitely not a political person, but what is it the American consumer can do to stop the bleeding?? You know its getting bad when I choose not to go to the coast fishing because of the fuel costs associated with pulling my boat down. I was thinking of going fishing this weekend but have decided not to go, simply because of the costs associated with a single trip. I mean , just to go from Adel to Econfina, and back pulling the boat is a minimum of 120.00. Not to mention if I fish around and not just a few spots close, say run 50 or 60 miles, thats another 100.00. So to go catch a few fish and hopefully get a decent limit, I'm looking at upwards of 250.00/ per trip. Try that three of four times a month. Just a little venting going on and wishing for a solution. Without the sarcasm usually associated with my buds here, what do you guys think??? Anybody want to try and start a movement(not bowels smart A's!! :lol: )?? I figure theres 1500 or so members here, thats a helk of a start towards making this National Crisis a little more manageable. Maybe we can start a petition or something to maybe get the people we put in office to actually get off their behinds and stop this nonsense. If anyone can get a resolution to this problem before it puts us all out in the street, a united sportsmens coalition can!!!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Yall know what really burns my azz???

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have the same gripe when I go to buy furniture. That stuff is outrageous. I guess I will just have to use my old recliner with holes all in it a while longer. :smt010

Gas probably would be so high if it weren't for all those rednecks with those big azz trucks with big tires pulling those big boats all over creation. They are burning it all up. :-D

Oh well....

Sigh :roll:

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

I agree with you, BB. This is Crazy !! But, i don't think we will ever see a buck a gallon ever again.
Pirate Girl
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I'm no economist but, it seems to me that the difference is in the value of the dollar as compared to say, the Euro. Right now it takes about $1.60 to buy one Euro and the dollar is down compared to the Yen as well. Yourapeeins are paying the equivalent of about $65-70/ barrel of oil while we are paying over $100. Gotta fix the value of the dollar(get the economy straight). Why don't you find you a place to keep the boat down at the coast. take a more fuel efficient truck down when you go. Or get a smaller boat.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

It's the way of business you should know that BB...someone supplies something that you need and they control the price. Replace Badcock sofa's with fuel...if everyone couldn't live without your sofa's you would be the sofa king that everyone is biotching about as you deposit your profits in the bank.

Anyone that lives in Europe or has been there can attest that we have it easy even at over $2.00 a gallon...quick google search on fuel prices in Germany and a euro to dollar conversion and you will pay $8.11 a gallon for unleaded fuel in Germany. Remember when Katrina hit and we were in the news complaining of the big gas price increase, the europeans were pizzed that we were bitching about the price we had to pay. Everyone should goto Europe and see how large we really live.

Supply and Demand - Business 101 ezpz
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

With Katie being an economist this a topic we discuss occassionally. She could provide a better explanation than I can, but here goes... When there is monopoly, which an organized oligopoly like OPEC creates, the supplier can control either production (supply) or set price, not both. OPEC has made it very clear they will choose production.

With production/supply set, demand sets price. That leaves a couple options to the consumer: 1) reduce demand (ie. get a smaller boat and truck/ get a hybrid that utilizes a different engery source) so the demand slope intercepts supply at a lower price point 2) leverage OPEC to increase supply (it isn't that they can't increase supply, it is that they choose not to) or 3) find a means of introducing competion to the monopoly (eg. drill in Alaska).

FWIW-Option 1 seems most practical to me...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
breeze

Post by breeze »

Not to mention the price of non-res. fishing permits has increased this year, BB. :smt010
'If you don't know where you're goin', you could end up anywhere.'
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

We need to move beyond petroleum as a fuel, I know right, easier said than done. The reason why the cost is so high is because of falling value of the Benjamins and the increase in demand in fuel from India and China. China is set to outpace the United States in hydrocarbon use in less than two years. I believe they may have surpassed the US in auto production as well. Another reason for the high cost is that oil is a limited resource. Increased demand on a scarce resource = higher costs. We have dropped the ball on the most economical (in terms of mpg) way of transporting goods by train. Actually, we have only recently passed the highest cost per gallon ever set in the 1970's adjusted for inflation. We have actually been pretty fortunate in our $3/ gallon. Some of our other "friends" in the West have been paying quite a bit more for quite a bit longer. There are some naysayers but the idea of Peak Oil makes sense to me, http://www.energybulletin.net/primer.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; What is even scarier is the idea of Peak Food.

It also seems pretty absurd to me, that electricity for homes is still in a lot of places based on oil when there are alternatives such as wind, solar, and hydro. I mean the tide moves 2-4 times per day why can't we tap into that energy as a resource? Ethanol is a boondoggle that is helping to drive up the cost of food, in addition to oil. I mean, it take more oil to make ethanol than it would to simply just make gasoline. Not to mention, the efficiency of ethanol is less as well in terms of mpg.

Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and I got a motor on my boat but there has to be another way such as hydrogen or biodiesel. Why can't the manufacturers change? These things are out there. Currently, I have a 4-banger pickup and a Gheenoe with a 9.9 and still dream of an upgrade. I am looking hard at a Panga-style vessel but am actually too nervous to move on anything due to fuel costs and a tanking economic situation. I admit that I am limited in where I can go but I am not dropping $150+ per trip, either. $8 usually last me 2 or 3 trips in the boat, not counting gas for the truck, which is running about $60 a fill-up, once per week. The kayak anglers are paying even less.

I was talking to someone at the Pub and he said that whenever he gets another boat, he is going for the inboard diesel.

My grandma is a little senile but has been saying that what is happening now is very similar to what happened in the 1920s, except that we used a war to get out of depression, not go into it.

I don't know, just saying I'm there with you with the red arse.
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

This is what I have been doing.

No more dollaring. Meaning stops at convinence stores. Don't stop and buy any Cokes, Chips Snacks. I figure that alone puts about $25 a week into a gas tank. Also if I go to lunch, no Tea since everybody want to charge $1.99 :hammer: . That can be another $10 dollars a week.

Total saving of around $35 per week to go to Gas. These are things I don't really need anyway. :thumbup:
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

I kind of expected the comments about the truck. Theres nothing I would like more than to be able to buy a little Toyota or Nissan truck to fart around in and look like a polar bear stuffed in a soda can. I choose to buy AMERICAN brands by choice. When you start making your tax checks out to Mr. Miagi or Dot Allbawa, be proud of your foreign vehices. Not to mention, as a small business corp. , I recieve an annual tax break for buying new equipment (new truck) each year. The tax break is about 40 grand. Kind of hard to turn that one down. Also, lets see that foreign job pull up to a thirty foot trailer that I have to pull often full of furniture or full of a John Deere 5320 four wheel drive tractor used in the property business. Redneck or not, I have legitimate reasons for owning a 2500 series truck. And as far as the big tires, yea, my tires are oversized and they weigh exactly eleven lbs more than the stock tires. Ive already considered reverting to the stock tires, but in doing the math, I would only save about 1/2 gallon per tank. I do agree with you BH that our dollar has gone to crap, no doubt from supporting businesses outside the US. And DT, I like your posts and respect your opinion, however please get your facts straight before going off on my business and livelihood in a public format. :smt009 That high priced furniture you speak of is actually the third least inflated commercial business according to the National Home Furnishing Assoc. polls. Just a couple of examples. Ten years ago(TYA) when I started in business, a Lazyboy recliner starting price was 299.95, todays price(TP) 299.95. Namebrand DVD player (TYA) about 400.00, (TP) 59.95. when DVD player and microwaves first came out, both were over a thousand dollars. Entry level sofa by national name brands (TYA) 399.95 (TP) 399.95. Namebrand sxs refigerator w/ all the bells and whistles (TYA) 1499.95 (TP) 899.95. Namebrand projection tv (old bigscreens) (TYA) 2999.95 , 50" LCD or plasma tv(the latest and greatest in HDTV) 1999.95 ( when not on sale). Price of fuel ten years ago, fluctuated between 1.25 and 1.38. Today fuel is just shy of 4.00. Thats the point I was trying to get across. Wasnt looking for a bashing but a positive discussion on a remedy. Yes icould keep my boat in a storage at the coast but then Im very limited as to when and where I fish. Some of us have to work actual set hours and get very limited opportunities to fish. Also, Im not sure but the cost associated with covered storage would probably offset the fuel savings. I agree cutting back and finding more efficient vehicles is part of the solution. But when oil companies and iraq are making astonishing record profits quarter after quarter while a select few politicians are also lining their pockets and there political agendas while the everyday average person is losing his home because he makes the same 600.00 /week he's always made and driving back and forth to work now costs him three times what it did a couple of years ago, I have a problem with the root of our economic problems. Why do we not hear about trying to keep the oil companies in check?? Thats the main point I was trying to get an answer for. Oh yea, and as far as a smaller boat, I prefer safety and dryness. Not knocking anyones boat, I think its cool you can float in spit, but what do you do in one footers?? Ive fished and owned boats of that nature. You get a wet azz and scared girlfriends when you constantly take em over the bow. Ill stick with BB. If you take my boat and do the fuel rate per time spent on the water rather than mpg, my motorgets as good or better than most. Take my boat to run 30 miles. Probably takes me 1/2 as long to get there and 1.5 times the fuel (Probably 8-10 gallons). Take an azz wetter the same trip and it takes twice as long but half the fuel(Probably 5-6 gallons). I guess time is money. For a guy like me who has a very limited amount of water time, it is. Ok , Ive derailed my own thread. Just think of it like this. You guys obviously dont have a problem with the fuel costs and thats cool, glad it works for you. However , everything ties back to fuel. All your groceries, all your fishing suppies (fishing line is a derivative of petroleum based products), anything plastic, foam, or poly have some type of petroleum based products in their composition. Carpet is made from nylon and polyester of which both are petroleum based. Fiberglass boats are made from petroleum based products. Most everything you use daily is a petroleum product and the vehicle in which these items that are petroleum based get to your stores and ultimately to your homes , run on petroleum products. Hence, our everyday cost of living is skyrocketing for everyone because we as a United Nation are allowing the beatings to continue, not just rednecks with big trucks and boats. While I may resemble that remark, ya'll have hurt BB'sfeelins!! :smt009
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

We started a lunch pool at work. 4 of us take turns bringing lunch 3 days per week. We rotate weeks. We figured we are eating for about 2 bucks per day. That saves about 70 bucks a month.

As for what will fix the problems. The FED and the govt need to let the coming recession and market corrections (commodities, housing, and stocks) happen and stop making money out of thin air. The dollar will continue to weaken if the FED keeps lowering interest rates and opening more credit.

We may have a year or 2 of lean times, but the oil prices will come down, the housing market will resurge when folks can actually afford houses (not just buy them), and the dollar will be stronger.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Ok the previous post was after only the first two posts were posted and everyone else posted while I was writing. The following posts make a lot of sense. Sorry for the long wind , got a little peeved with the furniture comment, but no big deal. Thats what I was wondering, I agree with Chalk and the others on the supply and demand as it does control pricing. My question is what can we do. I agree the manufacturers should be able to produce a vehicle to get more efficiency. I mean , my god, I drive a diesel truck that gets 12 mpg. And no tire size doesnt matter as much as people tend to believe because with stock tires, the mileage isnt any better. All of your comments make sense but what is it we can do to sway our gov. to make things better?? I agree with you big T, let the recession happen , everybody do their best to survive and get the American dollar back!! :thumbup:

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

While all the factors mentioned so far are all in the mix, Tom is more correct with his answer being the single biggest contribiting factor. The commodities traders playing the futures is driving oil prices up up up. The same thing happened years ago when the Hunt brothers started buying silver at $1 and sold at $60 per ounce.
Those with the money to invest control the investment.
Until the futures traders lock on to something else oil will continue to rise. After that whatever they lock on to will rise.
The political disagreements with Venezuela,Columbia etc are also contributing because U.S. supply is down from S.A.
We (US) also have I believe 3 refineries that have shut down recently. That adds to demand from operating refineries.
I have no suggestion for a possible answer.
I will however sign most any petition to help try something that will lower fuel cost. Since all production cost are tied to fuel theoretically all cost should reduce.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Jumptrout51 wrote:While all the factors mentioned so far are all in the mix, Tom is more correct with his answer being the single biggest contribiting factor. The commodities traders playing the futures is driving oil prices up up up. The same thing happened years ago when the Hunt brothers started buying silver at $1 and sold at $60 per ounce.
Those with the money to invest control the investment.
Until the futures traders lock on to something else oil will continue to rise. After that whatever they lock on to will rise.
The political disagreements with Venezuela,Columbia etc are also contributing because U.S. supply is down from S.A.
We (US) also have I believe 3 refineries that have shut down recently. That adds to demand from operating refineries.
I have no suggestion for a possible answer.
I will however sign most any petition to help try something that will lower fuel cost. Since all production cost are tied to fuel theoretically all cost should reduce.
Dang JT, did you really write that? It makes sense!
:smt005 :thumbup:

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I used to be an intelligent contributing factor to the human race.
Then I just got lazy.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?