Keaton, 3/15

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ddb

Keaton, 3/15

Post by ddb »

Wanted to sneak in a trip to Keaton, considered our options and Breambuster, myself and C-man wound up going down Saturday despite the lacking tides and a forecast for 20 mph winds. Got out of the channel around 9:30 greeted by a pretty stiff south wind, no problem, we're headed north. Stopped just south of Deekle in 3-4', didn't want to venture too far with the foreast of increasing winds throughout the day. Picked up a few shorts, but nothing too exciting. By around 10:30 we got the idea the forecast wasn't going to be spot on as the winds died somewhat but the 'spotty fog' blanketted us in with visability of around 150'. (Note to self, don't wear glasses during a heavy fog). Decided to venture in shallower and found out my navigational skills weren't quite what I thought when we discovered the shoreline a lot closer than it should have been.

Since our visability was limited I decided we'd find a little deaper water to fish where the only thing I had to worry about was the boats zooming by in the fog (wouldn't you think some folks would consider slowing down when they can't see 200' in front of them?). We eventually stumbled upon a few good fish amongst a great bounty of shorts. The bite turned on pretty good around 2 pm on a brief falling tide and again around 4 as it came back in with the wind. The winds picked back up a bit in the afternoon but never reached the forecast max's. The fog never did leave. Water temps didn't move much, started at 61 and bumped all the way up to 62 in the afternoon. It appeared the trout were waiting for it to warm up just like we were. 80 degrees, I don't think so.

Lucklily visability was good when we went out so that I could follow the bread-crumbs back in on the gps. All in all a good day on the water. Breambuster's got the pics, hopefully he will add them later.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton, 3/15

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Thanks for the report.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Glad ya caught a few.
What was I supposed to do today?
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Ddb, thanks for the invite. Calvin and I had a good time.
Here're the pictures:

First keeper trout for the 08 season, not a giant but respectable.

We had several double-headers, almost all were gulp size (14.5'')

The only quality fish for the day

Took the last two shots on the way in at around 4 pm. So much for the "patchy morning fog" forecast.

Note the damage on the pier from the tronado.
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

Nice trout :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Good looking catch!
FYI: I was down at Keaton 3 weeks ago and the pier was damaged then, looks like a boat ran right into it going out...
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Nice fish guys! :thumbup: :beer:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Somebody set the pier on fire...nice fish guys. Fog :thumbdown:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:o Did yall launch at the public ramp? :o I heard it was closed.
reel therapy
Site Sponsor

Post by reel therapy »

Nice fish, and thanks for the report.
ddb

Post by ddb »

Hit-n-Miss wrote::o Did yall launch at the public ramp? :o I heard it was closed.
The public ramp was still closed last Saturday. There was a big pile of trash in front of one of the ramps and they didn't appear in any big hurry to clean it up. The Marina is opperating though, they've got a lift and a tight ramp.

:o What's the story behind the fire on the pier?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Nice trip guys. Thanks for posting. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Hit-n-Miss wrote::o Did yall launch at the public ramp? :o I heard it was closed.
I heard today that one side of the ramp is usable but the other side still had some debris in front. I guess we'll find out Saturday morning if the marina doesn't have any dock space left.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

Nice trout, thanks for the post :thumbup: :thumbup: