St. Marks, 5/28/03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dbplug
Site Sponsor

St. Marks, 5/28/03

Post by dbplug »

Hi folks, I am new here, but have been reading your posts for a couple of months. Thaks for the stories and the laughs.

-report- put in at lighthouse 12:30, very light chop, 81 degrees, ran to east flats, .5 mile inside stake line, 7-8ft. shorty trout, many, many blues. Blues tearing up pinfish under a CT. Managed to boat one on the only steel leader we had.

Headed closer to shore in 4-5 ft. over grass, very little drift at all. about 15 shorts and one 18" and one 23" mixed in with the shorts. Again, lots of blues. Couple of 2' sharks. Moved to east river around the bars at 4PM, nothing happening. Was hoping water was moving enough to gather reds, but I guess it was wrong time of the day.

All hits on Pinfish or any sureketch with pink, on the bottom or under a CT.

New boat so you know I have to go again on Friday.

Thanks again folks, I really enjoy everyones input and standup routines.
for petes sake
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Welcome dbplug. Great report. We got into the Blues like that a couple weeks ago over at Keaton. Fun, but they do make a mess with your poles. What kind of new boat did you get?
Semper Fi
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Key west 17, center console, 90 horse, whole lotta fun. Got it from Jacks in Perry 3 weeks ago, already have 18 hours on it.
for petes sake
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Welcome aboard, and good report. We run the same boat and got it at Jacks as well. We may be out there Saturday if the weather will cooperate. :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Got a good friend who bought the same boat at Huggins Marine in Albany. He loves his boat but got a Magic Trail trailer, that he hated. Tires wore out on the inside in four trips. Have a brother-in-law, and another partner that are having the same problem with the Magic Trail trailers. What kind of trailer did you get?
Semper Fi
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

CS, you made me go look, and look at the tires. I only have about 350 miles on the trailer. I don't see any wear. Trailer is new, a PVW-17, rides kinda low, but I think I like that. (still learning this boating thing)

http://www.performancetrailers.com/pvseries.htm
for petes sake
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

The low ride helps if you use a ramp. Good luck with the new boat.
Semper Fi
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

dbplug,
Welcome to the club. We fished at the lighthouse several times last year but have not made it there this year.I have read some good reports coming from over there, the flats have some good grass and spotty bottom(usually good fishing areas). We have caught some really big sharks there, too. And good luck with the new boat-we are thinking about getting something about that same size ourselves.Does it ride dry and take rough water OK?

talk to ya later. Go'in to Keaton tomorrow.
Yours in the South
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Jessie, I had been looking for a boat for about 6 months, wanted something in the 16'-22' range for fishing/scalloping/family of 5 outings to various places. I did not want something too expensive to operate - so I forgot about anything that would take a > 120 hp. My wife talks in her sleep and I heard her say she did not want to ride around in a duck boat(anything green). I was seriously looking at a Duracraft.

The Key West has room for 2 adults and 3 kids, still just a little tight. With all of us in it the 90 Yamaha will push just under 35 MPH. Gallons per mile seems to be very good. Boat weighs about 1100 lbs. Very smooth in 2' chop or less. Does very well in 2-3 for my comfort. Have not taken any water in from the transom except for a large wake from a LARGE boat while snugged up on the sand on the back western side of Dog Is. Cockpit is self baling, has an adequate live well with aeration, dry storage, etc. So far I can recommend this boat, time will tell.

In my "newness" opinion, it rides smooth and dry for a 17'. Ask Tom Keels for a second opinion.

PS, I honestly do not work for Key West, haha!
for petes sake
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Jessie, forgot to say, it has a 2 stroke Yamaha 90. Heard rumours that the 4 stroke was a lot heavier and more expensive to service, especially on the 25 hour checkup, $95.00 vs. $900. Rumours - check it out. But I can tell you the 4 stroke is much, much quieter.

Am pulling this thing with a '95 bronco, I usually get 15 MPG on the truck, I pull the boat and get about 8 MPG, maybe I need some spoilers on the boat to give me some lift!
for petes sake
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

db, try trimming the motor a little more when your pulling it. May help. :wink:
Semper Fi
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Hey CS, I've got a Magic Trail trailer that came with my Sailfish and the tires did the same thing. They wore real bad on the inside. I tried running higher air preasure and that didn't help. I've replaced the tires and have not seen the same problem yet and I have more than enough miles on it. Maybe the problem is the Sure Trail tires they put on these trailers?

Ask your bro-in-law what kind of tires he had if you don't mind. I'd like to know. :roll:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

AJ, I looked. He has Sure Trail. I'll tell him what you said about changing tires. Thanks.
Semper Fi