Rethinking St. Teresa without a boat....

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Rethinking St. Teresa without a boat....

Post by dolphinatic »

Had to do some work today down at Alligator Point. Had an hour or so to "waste" so I went over to St. Teresa to surf fish.

Waded out to 3 ft. and started casting. 30 minutes went by and nothing was biting....anything :cry: On one of the last casts I decided to make, the line just stopped about 10 feet or so ahead of me like it was hung. I pulled on the line and it started to move....then I saw what it was......a friggin 8 ft. or so shark :o Luckily, the jig came loose and I just stood there watching this thing. He swam a few circles, and then mosied on off like nothing happened. I mosied on off too like a mo fo. I got to knee deep water and thought to myself " #$%@ that was a big shark when you ain't in no boat!!!!" Then I wondered how long it had been around me. Then I remembered feeling a "tug" on the float net I was dragging behind me....luckily with no fish. On my way back to the shore, a guy came by in a kayak. I told him to watch out and he said he had seen the thing earlier. Said he was prefishing for a tournament being held by some guy named "Suber" out of Advantage Marine tomorrow. We talked for a few minutes and then I headed on. Did manage one nice flounder on my way back in :thumbup: :thumbup:

Needless to say I'll be thinking twice about surf fishing out there till at least next month :wink:
Last edited by dolphinatic on March 28th, 2008, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Re: Rethinking St. Teresa without a boat....

Post by Eerman »

should have jumped on his back and went for a ride :o I would have been walking on water with some briskness. :lol:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Awww hell, if a shark comes nosing around you just hit him on the nose, he'll let you be. :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

birddog wrote:Awww hell, if a shark comes nosing around you just hit him on the nose, he'll let you be. :lol:
That's what I tell the kids when were scallopin....do you really think it works? :roll: :lol:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

birddog wrote:Awww hell, if a shark comes nosing around you just hit him on the nose, he'll let you be. :lol:
Let you be...his lunch :lol:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Reel Slow wrote:
That's what I tell the kids when were scallopin....do you really think it works? :roll: :lol:

Hell naw... :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
2true

Post by 2true »

He lives around there. I have seen people walk on water when he shows up........
bman

Post by bman »

Eerman wrote:
Let you be...his lunch :lol:

:smt043 :smt043
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Supa Fly

Post by Supa Fly »

I used to wade there back in the mid 90's. We'd wade way out to almost armpit level, where you could just start to feel some rocky bottom off the beach. A couple of years after that I saw a guy post a 6 ft lemon shark he caught in the same location. Needless to say, I haven't done any armpit wading there since.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

At least when the jig came loose and he was swimming circles around you pants were already wet.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Dad-Gum, Son! Glad yer still in one piece!!
Yours in the South
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

:lick: Be glad you fish with a float ring instead of a stringer - that could have been ugly! :smt010 I still wade fish that area (going there this morning with my friend Gerald to fly fish, but I stay knee deep - no deeper. Even then, a big, bad shark could get me. :o They say (who ever the hell "they" are) that you are more likely to get struck by lightening than eaten by a shark - who needs both. :smt009 Best thing we can do is stay alert of our surroundings and get out of the area when the "guys in the grey suits" show up! :thumbup:
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.