Islamorada Road Trip

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sharkman

Islamorada Road Trip

Post by Sharkman »

It’s funny that for a minute, I thought I could go without a boat when I sold my Carolina Skiff last year. That did not last long as I got back in the game with a Panga skiff (great boat). It has done well in the Big Bend already but I thought I would put it to the test by taking it down to my favorite Keys fishing spot, Islamorada.

The first day started great at the campground when I was awakened by mullet schools thrashing around 10' from my head. I got up, grabbed the cast net and loaded up on nice tarpon bait size mullet, woke up my wife and hit the water for tarpon. What happened next is something I have never seen on the water or on TV. We anchored near a channel that was known as a tarpon highway and put out 2 live mullet on floats. Then a 100-150 lb tarpon thrashed around, jumped out of the water, chased the mullet, knocked it in the air, and engulfed it several times but every time the mullet found a way to get away. This unbelievable display lasted for 15 minutes until the Tarpon finally gave up while the mullet swam around (laughing at me I think). At some point, my wife even started cheering for the mullet. It was funny, amazing, and frustrating at the same time. This is how the week went as far as tarpon go. We had tarpon all around the boat all week long but couldn't hook one. We tried live mullet (freelined, on a float, and on the bottom), gulp crab, diving plugs, swimbaits, topwater lures, jigs, flies, DOA jumbo shrimp and nothing would work. We had caught them down there before but none on this trip.

Nonetheless, we had a great trip catching snook of different sizes which is our main target in Islamorada (contrary to most people). The highlight of the trip was catching a personal best 36", 18lb snook. What an incredible fight on light tackle!

Here is the smallest snook:

We caught many barracuda which were absolutely amazing on topwater and on fly.

We caught many sharks up to 8 feet.

We caught one Goliath grouper in our snook spot.

Overall, it was a great trip in spite of all the drama from the Keys tarpon that avoided my hooks all week long.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Re: Islamorada Road Trip

Post by Reel Slow »

Sweet trip :thumbup: Congrats on the monster Snook.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Great report. Thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

nice....love that water
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

It's tough to beat that water.
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Nice.....really nice :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Man, that snook is a MOGAN! :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad to hear you and Beth had a great time, even with the teasing from the tarpon! Being completely serious, seems some of my strongest memories of time spent out on the water are from such "sightings" versus "catches", so I'm sure the sighting of the big tarpon will still be a fond memory :thumbup:

BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Very nice :thumbup: :beer:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice snuke :thumbup: :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Suweet! What size Panga you got?
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Sweet trip. Saw a Panga @ St Marks this weekend , sweet boat. Looked like it would run out pretty good. Got to love that water down there!! Id feel like I needed to put a palm tree on BB to hide behind fishin in water that clear!! :thumbup:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Great report and nice fish. I could hear my wife pulling for the mullet! :smt009
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
bman

Post by bman »

Man that looks like a great trip!
My wife gave me the green light to plan a trip like that this year.
love a pm with details on where to stay / launch etc.....
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sounds like a great trip. I'm sure the snook gave you a tremendous fight. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

Big Bend Gyrene,
Wish you could have been there 2? The four of us would have done even better. With your Panga, we could have gone after tuna, dolphin, and marlin also.

MudDucker,
My Panga is the new 18' skiff and it is exactly the boat I wanted. Floats in 6" and does pretty well in 2-3' seas. Now I can do inshore and offshore in the same boat and still haven't spent >$10 in gas in any 1 trip with the 50 HP Yamaha 4-stroke.

Bad Behavior,
That might have been my Panga you saw at St. Marks on Saturday, I had just gotten back from the Keys and couldn't resist the home waters of the Big Bend.