do you guys use sand flea rakes?

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

do you guys use sand flea rakes?

Post by bman »

I've always caught them with my hands... but when I was at Mexico beach a guy had a sand flea rake like this
ImageImage

I tried it and liked it.....
Do you guys use them and do you like them?

Anyone make them?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

Re: do you guys use sand flea rakes?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Bman, haven't surf fished since my family lost a fishing shack on North Captiva to Charley :smt010... but when we did surf fish we rigged our own rakes similar to the one in the photo (took half a wire minnow trap and wired it to a broom pole) and they were easy on the back and quick to gather a mess of fleas.

Actually used the hand method for years before moving to the rake... even tried using a five gallon bucket for a while. The bucket was pretty darn productive too, but heck on the back pulling the bucket through the sand line and having it fill with sand, water, and fleas. From a productivity standpoint I liked the bucket - - would pull it forward against the flow of the waves on their way back out to the ocean, scooping up muck until it half filled the bucket, then would leave the water to dump the muck on the beach to pick out the fleas. But after trying one of the rakes, decided I liked it from the standpoint of much less work effort :D... also as I got older, I slowly figured out I couldn't fish but so many sand fleas at a time :wink:

BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

I use a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled all the way around and the bottom. Take a jigsaw and cut the rings off the top of the bucket so it will dig in the sand easier. When you cut out the rings leave the handle in place and just cut around it. Take the metal handle out and cut a piece of 1x1 to fit across the opening of the bucket and secure with wood screws through the holes for the metal handle. You can put the metal handle back on if you like. Its easy to make and works alot better IMO than the rakes plus its cheaper. :thumbup: :thumbup:
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but where are you dragging the net/bucket? Right at teh surf line? How deep in teh sand do you have to get?
bman

Post by bman »

Kyfred-
They seem to live right at the breaker line- a lot of times you see the at the last little bit of sand uncovered as a wave retreats.
I walk the beach until I see the "V" made by their antenna in the sand. Usually if you see one there are a bunch.

Baygator- that sounds like a good idea- can you give us a photo?

TEAM "Duck Season!"
Charlie2

Post by Charlie2 »

I haven't used sandfleas for years since I use jigs exclusively.

Before I discovered the amazing capabilities of jigs, I used my hands right along where the wave justvstarts to recede. With practice, you can see the little antennas sticking out.

When fishing commercially, which I once did, we would take 5 gallon buckets full of sandfleas to fish with, when I would use a eake. JMHO C2

BTW; Charlie has returned home from a major stroke and is just about ready to hit the sand again. I know better so will follow the Doc'o instruction and wait awhile.

Before I had this thing, I was slaying the Pompano and Bull redfish. I saw schools of over 100 POmpano followed by schools of Bull Redfish.

I will be better by the Spring Pompano run.

Answers to questions from information gleaned from over 70 years of surf fishing? Just ask.

The Spring Pompano run will start as soon as the Pompano Tree blooms in my back yard(About 65 degrees F. Again JMHO C2
bman

Post by bman »

Keep us posted- I love catching and eating those fish!

TEAM "Duck Season!"
bbb

Post by bbb »

I bought mine from the bait shops on St George. Around $30 bucks a few years ago, if my memory serves me correct.

spent many a evenings digging up sand fleas from 10pm til midnight on St george. amazing how much foot traffic is on the beach at night. :drnk_1
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Will the pomp's be running at the same time at St George as they will at Cape San Blas?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
RudyH

Post by RudyH »

Shucks, we must be thinkjng the same. I tried one too and liked it. Will buy one during the next two weeks. Have been warned not to vuy one at Walmart because they are cheap and break quickly.