GPS Problem...HELP!

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Algaegator

GPS Problem...HELP!

Post by Algaegator »

Model is Lowrance LMS 320 DF. Yesterday when I turned it on I got the dreaded message "GPS Module Not Responding." Contacts/connections looked fine. Ended up fishing the flats and we (my Dad and I) brought home 7 nice trout to 19". After some internet research I reset the unit but no good. The website recommended that I hook up to a working unit to determine which component is bad. Does anyone have a unit that uses GPS receiver LGC 12W by lowrance? If so I would love to plug my unit in and see if it works. Any other troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.
On On
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: GPS Problem...HELP!

Post by Dubble Trubble »

One thing to check. Those connectors can come apart and the pins can slide back just enough to not make a connection. Mine did that. Check to make sure that did not happen where it connects to the unit, and also where the module connects to the extension cable. If it has come apart some, first mark the connector on both pieces( it can go back on 2 ways), then slide it fully off. a little crazy glue at the joining points will fix it right up.

Hope this is your cure instead of a $ 200 plus module. Good luck.

I have the Eagle unit equal to yours, except mine has the older EGC type module, not the LCG.

I also know they had issues with the newer LCG-2000 modules, but I do not remember any specific problems with your model module.

Just a sidenote. If you do not have the Nauticpath chip, get it. Best $99 I ever spent.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Some lowrance units have a power lead just for the module. I have two power leads for mine and they have a inline fuse on each one. Good luck with it. 8)
Sea Ya !
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Algaegator wrote:Model is Lowrance LMS 320 DF. Yesterday when I turned it on I got the dreaded message "GPS Module Not Responding." Contacts/connections looked fine. Ended up fishing the flats and we (my Dad and I) brought home 7 nice trout to 19". After some internet research I reset the unit but no good. The website recommended that I hook up to a working unit to determine which component is bad. Does anyone have a unit that uses GPS receiver LGC 12W by lowrance? If so I would love to plug my unit in and see if it works. Any other troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.
For what's worth my new 28C HD is acquiring a position and then evr so often loses it. Where I fish I usually have a good idea of where I am (compasses are great) but none the less it drives me crazy cause I just bought the dang thing. If you figure it out let me know. You are more than welcome to come try mine but I can't swear that it works either.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Double Naught
Site Sponsor

Post by Double Naught »

Mr Gator

Be sure that both sets of power cables are well connected. Remember that the unit and the network cable each have their own seperate power connections. The network cable's power supply is the one that runs the GPS Module. Clean your fuse clips real good too. My clips used to corrode so bad that they wouldn't flow enough current, till I cleaned them and coated with dielectric grease.
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Dubble Trubble wrote:I also know they had issues with the newer LCG-2000 modules, but I do not remember any specific problems with your model module.
My experience with the lcg 2000 is that they go bad, but lowrance didn't want the head units to feel bad, so they make those poorly too (2nd gps and 3rd head unit). I think my transducer is feeling a little left out now as well. But their customer service is good, for whatever that is worth.
Algaegator

Post by Algaegator »

Guys,
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the input I've gotten regarding my problem. I'm hoping it's an electrical defecit and I plan to hit it hard and heavy tomorrow. If I can't get it up and running I may be in the market for a new unit. Or should I just get a GPS and continue to use the fishfinder as such. I've had the thing fo about 5 years with no problems and the bottom machine continues to work flawlessly. Also, I've often wished that I could have full screen mode in both applications. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.
On On
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Algaegator wrote: If I can't get it up and running I may be in the market for a new unit. Or should I just get a GPS and continue to use the fishfinder as such.
It's personal preference. My personal preference is 2 units.
What was I supposed to do today?
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Algaegator wrote: If I can't get it up and running I may be in the market for a new unit. Or should I just get a GPS and continue to use the fishfinder as such.
with a combo unit its nice to be able to pull a gps position from the bottom machine after the fact. Its not really an issue on the flats, but offshore or on larger lakes, it is helpful.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I got the combo unit because of the lack of room I had on my console due to the T-Top. If it wasn't for that I would have bought 2 units. If the fishfinder is working fine then I may just get a GPS, no need spending money on something you already have. My $0.02 worth anyway.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

grim reeler wrote:
with a combo unit its nice to be able to pull a gps position from the bottom machine after the fact. Its not really an issue on the flats, but offshore or on larger lakes, it is helpful.
Most GPS units and sonar units can be networked. The wiring is there from the factory. It's a matter of splicing 2 wires. Had that setup 3 years ago on my bay boat.
What was I supposed to do today?
Algaegator

Post by Algaegator »

OK, I removed the unit and cables from the boat, cleaned all connectors and hooked everything to a fully charged battery. Same thing :( . I called Lowrance and spoke to Troy who without hesitation told me that the antenna is shot. Does anybody know anybody who has one of these LGC 12W antennas? I read somewhere that Eagle and Lowrance may have a different baude rate and may be incompatible. Anyway, Troy said he would be happy to sell me one for $99 plus tax; however, once I open the package I can't send it back. He also told me that Lowrance can no longer get parts for this unit if anything else happens to it. BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand
On On
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

This sounds like a grand opprotunity to upgarde the whole deal. Tell your finacial planner (your wife is most cases) that the purchase of a new $2000.00+ (gotta have beer money) is paramount to your survival. If she gives you any statci about it ask if she would rather be a poor little widow lady. That'll do it.

I make no promises what "it" is but "it"' ll happen for sure.

Bummer about the module but if you think about it if you can't get parts to fix it I would probably buy another one.