A cure for fish shrinkage.

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

A cure for fish shrinkage.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D A lot of you guys allready know this trick but I thought I would share it. When you catch a keeper trout(15.19") and you throw it in the cooler. You might cover it with ice by hand, and it with thrash and throw it off. The trout is lying on the ice. You get stopped later by the man and you happily show him your fish. He measures the now 14.95" trout and gives you a ticket. :smt011 What happened!! Your trout that lives in water shrunk by drying out. The trick to stop it is simple. Once you get out on the water, simply put seawater in your cooler until it is 1or2" from the top of the ice(loose not bagged). it will make a super cold brine that will keep your fish from shrinking and they will look just caught when you get home. A fish with bright red gills will taste better than one with light pink ones. :lick: Also when you toss a trout in it will thrash and swim down into the ice completly immersing itself. :thumbup:
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Re: A cure for fish shrinkage.

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Just dont keep fish under 18". 8)
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:Just dont keep fish under 18". 8)
:smt012 Some of us don't have the knack that you seem to have. Some days just legal is all I catch. :smt012
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

I thought really cold water caused shrinkage 8) :lol:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
bman

Post by bman »

Hit-n-Miss - you are right on with this... I love the added benefit that they quiet down a lot quicker in Ice slush than on ice alone.
And I always feel better about keeping the little ones and letting the big ones go!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:Just dont keep fish under 18". 8)
The way you set a hook any 15 incher will be 18 inches by the time you get him to the net.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

I think my son had a good way. He's fished the flats with me since he's been about 4 or 5yrs old. At the older age of 8 he was holding his own and figured he didn't need dads help unhooking and measuring fish. He hooked and landed a trout that looked to be just about a keeper so I told him to make sure he measured carefully. Well he got out the golden rule, measured a couple of times then threw it in the bottom of the boat and jumped on a couple of times. Before I realized what he was doing he put it back on the golden rule and said yep 15 1/4inches and threw it in the cooler. From then on I've measured all the fish.
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Mark K wrote:I think my son had a good way. He's fished the flats with me since he's been about 4 or 5yrs old. At the older age of 8 he was holding his own and figured he didn't need dads help unhooking and measuring fish. He hooked and landed a trout that looked to be just about a keeper so I told him to make sure he measured carefully. Well he got out the golden rule, measured a couple of times then threw it in the bottom of the boat and jumped on a couple of times. Before I realized what he was doing he put it back on the golden rule and said yep 15 1/4inches and threw it in the cooler. From then on I've measured all the fish.
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

HitnMiss, BB struggled to catch a 15" at St Joe ,don't let him fool you. He also has a live well so he doesnt have that problem,maybe one day I can afford a livewell.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Dayum Heath, I was kidding when I said youre wife had been calling me late at night!!!!! Lighten up on a brother!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR