Aftermarket trim tabs

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelnauti

Aftermarket trim tabs

Post by reelnauti »

I was wondering if anyone has added trim tabs to a boat? If so, was it worth it, what was the end result, and where do you buy them? Thanks.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Re: Aftermarket trim tabs

Post by Fisherman989 »

I had after market trim tabs on my boat for several years. They work....do just what they are suppose to do...lift up the back end of a boat...and lower the nose. The type tabs I had were not the type you can control from the wheel. They had a hydraulic operated shock that came into play when you took off...the pressure of the water...when you took off ...pressed against the downed tabs...lifting the back end of the boat....lowering the nose They work.
Bass Pro and Cabela's have them. :wink:
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

What size boat?? I rarely use my on BB. I only use them when its rough or I need to distribute an uneven load. Now on the Maverick, thats a whole other story. I wouldnt have it without the tabs. Changes the entire attitude of the vessel. More often than not, the tabs are a great add on. Id stick with Lenco or Bennett. I prefer the Bennetts myself. They are much quieter though I cant say more reliable. Theyre both fine brands. Id stay away from Minn Kota tabs. Just my .02 and then some.
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I would go ahead and get either Lenco's or Bennets. On a small boat, they are invaluable in adjusting the attitude of the boat for level running. They can smooth a choppy sea right out and allow you to adjust for beam seas. My .02 is that the Lencos are better for small boats because 1) the unit as a whole is lighter than Bennets, and 2) the Lenco's are faster from full tab down to full tab up position. this is important when you're using the tabs to help you get up in shallow water and they're at the full down position and they need to come up quick so the prop can get a good bite.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

BB, you keep adding S#@t to the Maverick it's going to look like a floating Marine store,,,come to think of it that would be cool :smt004
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I've got Lenco's on my bay boat and I love them. Other than a slight wiring issue I had which self inflicted I've never had any problems.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

TroutTrent wrote:BB, you keep adding S#@t to the Maverick it's going to look like a floating Marine store,,,come to think of it that would be cool :smt004
I think he needs a T-top with some rocket launchers :wink:
VIVA la BT

reelnauti

Post by reelnauti »

20 ft Sea Hunt, ran offshore last weekend in 2ft seas and had one hell of a rough ride.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

In my opinion there is not a power boat made that can't in some part benefit from trim tabs.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Tom Keels wrote:In my opinion there is not a power boat made that can't in some part benefit from trim tabs.
What TK said is what I was trying to say. I havent added anyhting much to the boat!! All the things I put on the boat are just youre everyday run of the mill accessories everybody else has! I can t add anything else anyways unless it can go up front . Damn thing sits down too far in the back now!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Reelnauti,

I LOVE mine and believe they're one of the most critical components on my boat. I've got a 22' Panga with a t-top... love the design but it's on the narrow side and I've got a relatively heavy duty t-top on it, taking a boat already suspect for swaying in waves and making it a bit more top heavy.

By using the trim tabs I can really fine tune my ride... if I've got three men on board, or both heavy and light folks on board, with a bump or two on the trim tabs I can take a heavily leaning boat and put her dead even. Also use the tabs to push the bow down when I'm running through rough waters and want to cut through heavy chop, as well as pulling them up a bit when the bay is smooth and I'm pushing for speed. Don't hit the switch constantly but do probably make 2 to 3 adjustments per trip with changing conditions. Absolutely wouldn't be without em on my current boat. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh, and as for brand I have Lenco and am happy but can't compare with Bennett as the Lenco's are my first set.

BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Ran the new MAverick tonight and BH is right, the Lencos do adjust faster. They are loud though when sittin still.

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

did hear about Tim Borski ( Central/South Florida fly tyer/artist) getting thrown out of a Gladeskiff when one of his Lenco's went crazy and full tabed down @ WOT. :smt104

Luv that Panga, BBG
VIVA la BT