Econfina 6-28-2008

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Econfina 6-28-2008

Post by Tom Keels »

Left the ramp around 7:15 with Frank Bradfield, his son Ben and my Paw-in Law Sonny.

For those who have never run the river, it doesn't get any better than this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57StB9JajQ[/video]

We caught 3 dozen pinfish and should have caught 6 dozen. The first 2 spots we used them up. Caught 4 nice gags and had several break offs, 2 that broke 65# Power Pro on straight pulls.

I back dove both spots and picked up a hogfish on each. The vis was a terrible 6 feet in 22 feet of water.

Next spot was more of the same, but Frank managed a gag and a couple of hogs.

We headed much deeper and settled down in 26 feet of water and the vis was great. Frank and I dove and I could not miss. Just couldn't kill everything I hit. I had 4 gags get off my spear. Frank got 1 gag and 2 hog fish. I ended with a nice stringer....

When we started the dive, there wasn't a cloud in the sky as far as you could see. When it ended, here's what we saw approaching from the west...

We didn't even bother stowing gear, we just put the hammer down. Ran east until the flats and then back to the river mouth. Here's a vid I took to give you an idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV2q8LeE45Q[/video]

We made it to the river and got the boat on the trailer just as the rain started.

Ended the day at 1 pm with 10 gags and 7 hogs.

Tom Keels
Site Founder

Eerman
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina 6-28-2008

Post by Eerman »

Seems like lots of folks met that storm. Glad you'll made it in with dinner in tow. :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Nice mess of fish.

That storm was nasty.
What was I supposed to do today?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Nice Tom! Thanks for the report.
Team Jolly Mon
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Nice report Tom, good mess of fish! :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.