Alligator Harbor 8-19-08

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Alligator Harbor 8-19-08

Post by dolphinatic »

Decided to head to the coast around 4:00pm yesterday to get some boat cleaning in before Fay gets here. Got down to the water about 5:15pm and it was slick as glass with just a small breeze. I eased into the water and the mullet were jumping everywhere.....some within 5 feet of where I was standing. I started throwing topwater and every cast netted me nothing but grass on the hooks. Switched over to a jig hooked weedless and the same result. Not to mention no bites :( About 25 minutes into fishing, the wind picked up out of nowhere. I moved closer in and could see the rain coming over the bay. Got back to shore and sought cover. After the rain shower passed, I tried again. No luck just as before, so I resorted to using a gulp just to see if anything would bite. Nothing. Decided I just better get my work done and abandoned fishing for the day. On the way back, I stopped at the bridge for a few (20) casts. Nothing. So, I decided that fishing just wasn't going to happen today, so off to find some oysters and a :beer: to ease the "no bite" pain :lol: Stopped by Angelos. CLOSED. Stopped by Hookwrecks. CLOSED. Stopped by Coastal. CLOSED. Stopped by Stevens. CLOSED. Finally, I saw where Poseys oyster bar was OPEN :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Stopped in and saw where they had buy 1 dozen, 2nd for $1 :smt007 Of course I got both and a :beer: :lick: $10 for 2 dozen oysters and 2 :beer: Can't beat that.
I did see ALOT of wildlife on the way home. I had to stop to let the deer cross the road down near the golf course on 98. Deer were everywhere after the rain. Right before I got to the Wakulla River Bridge, I saw all these "black spots" down in the grass near the woods. I stopped to get a better look. Hogs.....about 20 of them. They were mostly black with a few red ones mixed in. Of course they scattered as soon as I stopped. I don't remember seeing that many before except for one time down at Aucilla. Can't say much for the fishing, but the drive was nice :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
jmlockwood

Re: Alligator Harbor 8-19-08

Post by jmlockwood »

I had the same experience in Levy Bay. I paddled out yesterday afternoon around 4:00 pm. It seemed like mullet were jumping everywhere and there were several schools of reds working around the oyster bars. The only problem is that none of them were interested in my fly.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Yep...it was odd. Couldn't even muster up a snotcat just for fun :smt022
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Sorry to hear bout the fishing... at least the beer was cold though!!! :-D
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

Regardless of the bite, or lack thereof, getting to go for a few minutes is always nice. Glad you had the chance, and a few snot rockets and :beer: to boot. :thumbup: :-D Better luck on the hook next time.
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs