Ok Now what

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KYFRED

Ok Now what

Post by KYFRED »

Ok, I decided it was finally time to bite the bullet and picked up a mad river synergy 12 angler. I am now new to both salt water angling as well as kayaking. Should get real interesting. I want to use the next month or so to properly outfit. Understanding that I will never be done tinkering, any recommendations on what is a necessity vs. an nicety? I already have the milk crate and was planning on mounting some rod holders. I am continuing to build a top water collection.
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Re: Ok Now what

Post by cmccord »

Anchor rig of one sort or another is a must for fishing. Good luck :thumbup: I am in about the same boat, except that I have fished saltwater most of my life, the yak just adds a new view. Have fun with it.
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
PerryFisherMan
Site Sponsor

Post by PerryFisherMan »

Here's a couple items I call musts:
1. A paddle leash adds an amount of security.
2. Good anchor. There are two sized promoted for yaks, get the larger one. Sometimes the wind will cause the smaller one to drag. Before I got the larger one, I would sometimes have my anchor in the grass so it would have something to catch on. Last summer at SGI, I was busy catching trout, and didn't realize the wind had pushed me out quite a bit (anchor dragged on the hard bottom). Next time I was in Tally, I got the larger one. It wasn't really unsafe, but I was surprised to be in deeper water than I wished.
3. One of those hand sump pumps that pump water out quite quickly. If for nothing else, they help you clean up your boat after you wash it out.

From a lure perspective, I know a lot of people talk about topwater, but remember these have a lot more hooks than jigs. You have to have a good plan on how you are going to handle the fish well before you catch it.

Good luck.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

KYFRED wrote:Ok, I decided it was finally time to bite the bullet and picked up a mad river synergy 12 angler. I am now new to both salt water angling as well as kayaking. Should get real interesting. I want to use the next month or so to properly outfit. Understanding that I will never be done tinkering, any recommendations on what is a necessity vs. an nicety? I already have the milk crate and was planning on mounting some rod holders. I am continuing to build a top water collection.

KYFred - Shoot me an e-mail at work or we can get together for lunch. 901-4869 direct line..
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image