Boater shot in buttocks after his wake swamps a canoe

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

By Bart Pfankuch

Published: Monday, October 27, 2008 at 5:14 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, October 27, 2008 at 5:35 p.m.
PARRISH — A boater whose engine wake turned over a canoe on the Manatee River Sunday afternoon was shot in the buttocks after one of the canoeists fired a gun in retaliation for being swamped, authorities said.

The incident happened around 5:15 p.m. Sunday near the Fort Hamer boat landing on the north bank of the Manatee River near Parrish when the boat swamped the canoe and turned it over, a sheriff’s report said. It was not clear if the swamping was intentional, the report said.

Afterwards, witnesses told deputies that one of the canoeists fired a shot or two in the direction of the boaters, striking 20-year-old David Mays in the buttocks.

EMS officials were already at the landing for an unrelated incident so they treated Mays before taking him to Manatee Memorial Hospital. Authorities intend to test the bullet to provide evidence in the case; three suspects were listed in the report as possible shooters.

A police dog searched the area for a weapon but did not find one. Mays’ injury was not life-threatening, the report said.
Sarasota Heralld Tribune
CrispyFishin

Re: Boater shot in buttocks after his wake swamps a canoe

Post by CrispyFishin »

I guess this could have had a tragic ending; however, considering where the shot landed, it's pretty funny...

I'm just wondering, did the dumped canoeist fire the shot from in the water? If he popped a moving target while either standing in water or treading water after flipping out of a canoe, I want that guy on my side!
Work 'em silly Gators!!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I think its something we've all thought about wether we were being swamped while in a boat, kayak or canoe
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Man, have I wanted to fire off a few rounds at a couple hundred jet ski's!
Team Jolly Mon