Bronson FL black powder Buck. Last weekend of black powder

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Bronson FL black powder Buck. Last weekend of black powder

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Saturday: Hoping to work our stone crab traps on a Saturday afternoon the winds were stronger than what I wanted to subject my children too so I elected to take them to the hunt club shooting range to work on their shooting proficiency. With the goal of getting nine year old Casey ready for the upcoming Anterless Season we first shot 22’s working our way up to the 243 deer rifle. Casey shot pretty good but I’d have to say his younger sister, Kaitlyn at seven years of age, shot just about as good as he did.

With the hopes of seeing a couple of deer for Kaitlyn we hiked to one of my 2 man stands and fit the three of us in the stand. Kaitlyn has been hog hunting with my a few times but this was to be her first deer hunt. Up until now she just couldn’t sit still long enough. I was hoping to get an hour in before they got too fidgety. After 20 minutes of more movement than I would have cared for, Kaitlyn stated she was bored. I was prepared for this and I pulled out books for each of them. Of course within two minutes she dropped the book and it made a loud noise as it hit the ground . Added to the two sneezes I had already made I didn’t think anything would come in but nevertheless we enjoyed the woods. Just prior to leaving we did have one doe come in and Kaitlyn got to watch her for about 4 minutes. After which we got down and hit the truck, all of us looking forward to our traditional summer sausage & root beer soda celebration (every time we do an outdoor adventure together we do this).

A 2 child & 1 man tree stand

Sunday: With the 5 a.m. offshore forecast slated for 15 knots we weren’t gonna go offshore today so I decided to hit the tree stand for an hour for my last chance at a black powder buck (last day of the season). Thirty minutes after taking the stand a single doe came in but with nothing else. After watching her for about 15 minutes the mosquitoes were getting terrible (I didn’t put on my bug suit-duh and I hunt in a swamp) so I slowly reached over to pop my Thermo-cell, which I keep on the outside of my daypack. About 10 seconds after that movement from my far right caught my attention and wouldn’t you know it a doe was about 12 meters away looking in my direction. I couldn’t believe she didn’t see or hear me pop the Thermo-cell! When she stepped forward only then did I notice the nice buck about one length behind her. I couldn’t swing my rifle to the right without him seeing me. Especially after he stopped and stared right at me when I did slowly try bringing it to the right. After a few seconds he followed the doe and all I had was a poor walking away shot which I didn’t want to take. They entered the tall dog fennels and all I could think about was that I blew it.

Trying to see through the fennels I kept watching for about 15 minutes when I detected the doe’s white ear outline and could see an eye & ear of the doe looking around. Hoping that the buck was near I caught a single glimpse of the antlers but could see nothing else. About five minutes later the doe crossed into the more open woods about 55 meters away and 30 seconds later the buck stepped out. I was ready and with the report of the 50 caliber I ducked down below all the black powder smoke to see where the buck went but couldn’t see anything except white smoke. I did hear crashing to my right with two big crashes and then silence.

Meanwhile one of the does took off but the other stayed nearby as if it didn’t bother her (interestingly). Waiting 30 minutes I got down and walked to the spot where I shot him and saw a great blood trail.
Point of impact

Good blood trail

As I found him. A nice Florida 8 point

Self taken photo

The buck only ran about 30 yards which is impressive when you consider the bottom third of his heart was obliterated. What a hunt!

Hoo Yah!!
Brian.
Quality Time
TallyFish

Re: Bronson FL black powder Buck. Last weekend of black powder

Post by TallyFish »

A book! You have you son reading a BOOK? Where in the world is a mind numbing, battery powered, eletronic destroyer of imagination? What are you trying to do raise a child that can think?
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Nice buck Brian :thumbup: :thumbup: Cant wait to read about the youngen's first kill, keep us updated :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Nice buck. :thumbup: But it won't be near as fufilling as seeing one of your kids getting their first. Mine took his first this year. And you cant imagine the buck fever that you get waiting on them to shoot. :oops: :-D
flatpicker
Site Sponsor

Post by flatpicker »

BBB, again you win father of the year in my book. I'm sure in the eyes of your children you are also number one. You are certainly a inspiration to all of the fathers out here in BBF.net world. Can't wait until my girls are old enough to take on outings like this. I don't even know you personally, but YOU DA MAN!!. I love your post, everytime!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh, nice buck by the way.
A bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down, and won!
cygraphics
Site Sponsor

Post by cygraphics »

That's a great deer and a good read. Congrats on the Black Powder Buck.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Shooting....Reading.....Hunting! American opportunities to be cherished! Congrats!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Great report and nice buck :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm getting fired up about going this weekend and this post made it worse because I still got 3 days and a wake up :x I put up a stand in a "new" sweet spot location for opening day in the central. Them deers are gonna be in trouble :smt067 :smt073 If they survive Saturday morning, we'll have to go target the fishies :-D
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice deer and report Brian.

Did you use that smoke-pole to trip him? 8) I'm not seeing any entrance or exit, though the blood trail is solid.

Way to get the kids out there. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing as always
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.