Wknd Econ Report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

volguy

Wknd Econ Report

Post by volguy »

Down to the pandhandle for the first salt trip of the year. It was also the annual birthday trip for my wife and i. couldn't leave til saturday and it was a good thing. i think we got in the only two decent days of fishing in the last two weeks from what some friends told me. we drove in the horrid downpours and weather for 4.5 hours before it finally let up. it was horrible. needless to say we didn't fish on saturday, but got some much needed relaxation. got the yaks out and had a nice little eco tour :-D and enjoyed the super high tide the wind had brought in.

sunday the wind was forecast at 20 to 25 and then subsiding to 10-15. so we went out in the wind and set up a drift and let it blow us all the way to the back of a creek where we put the pole down and took a nap to wait on the winds to lay (it was so windy you couldn't even make a good cast). the wind layed alright. it layed the hammer down to about 30 with 35 mph gusts. needless to say it was a very wet ride in with waves around 4 feet about .5 mile from shore. we shouldn't have went out and instead stayed on the dock and enjoyed some beverages and some good fellowship. but you never know til you go.

monday was a better day. we got a late start around noon to let the weather warm (the wife doesn't like the cold). perfect wind out of the east switching to the south at high tide. we decided to head west and we were rewarded with a limit of trout thru the early afternoon and then 3 nice reds in about 45 minutes and back at the house for dinner. caught all the trout in the magical 4 feet range and all on candy corn under a cork.

the wife's 26.5 incher.

and then a 24 for me followed by a 22.

Tuesday we headed out a little earlier to try for a quick limit of trout and beat the weather. we got both. the fish were biting in the first spot and we had a lot of shorts for the last of the morning fall. then the tide went slack and we started a new drift at the same time and picked up 6 keepers which was very odd on a slack tide. we then moved in with the tide (the fish were in that 4 feet again) and finished off our limit. back at the ramp at noon thirty to pack up and head home. caught all the fish on chicken bone under a cork.

some for the grill

and some for the grease

so another great weekend on the econ despite only getting in two days of fishing. hopefully i can make it back in two weeks.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Re: Wknd Econ Report

Post by birddog »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
GULP! free since 1970.
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Post by GAJOEY »

them are some pretty fillets.... :lick:
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
GatorBaiter

Post by GatorBaiter »

Way to stay with them...that's an impressive couple days!
"People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
Boy...we sure have come a long way since then!
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Swuuueeeetttt
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice trip VG :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sea Spot

Post by Sea Spot »

Nice trip :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Damn son, you got a horseshoe up your azz. Drop him in near hurricane conditions and he comes out with fillets. Suweet trip!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Nice. And under some terrible conditions. :thumbup: :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
volguy

Post by volguy »

thanks for the kind words guys. i am just lucky, that's all. :-D

i did forget to mention one thing. we saw two nice cobia swimming with rays on tuesday. there were also a lot of large spanish and blues around. maybe that is a sign for things to come in the next few weeks.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

volguy wrote: i did forget to mention one thing. we saw two nice cobia swimming with rays on tuesday. there were also a lot of large spanish and blues around. maybe that is a sign for things to come in the next few weeks.
you're the third person in the past week that has seen/told me/us about that. I am yet to see :(
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
tilldawg

Post by tilldawg »

galantnole wrote:
volguy wrote: i did forget to mention one thing. we saw two nice cobia swimming with rays on tuesday. there were also a lot of large spanish and blues around. maybe that is a sign for things to come in the next few weeks.
you're the third person in the past week that has seen/told me/us about that. I am yet to see :(
I had a nice Cobe slash at my poping cork last Friday in Steinhatchee. Not sure why he would not hit, but we threw everything we had at him. Good to see anyway.