Tips, Tricks?

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsfan

Tips, Tricks?

Post by flatsfan »

Fellas, my fishing buddies and I have had a couple bad trips in a row. We mostly go to the east flats where we have had luck in the past, but we have been totally skunked the last two trips. I've been reading reports on here and seen that we aren't the only ones, but then it seems like some people are having luck. Should we go into deeper water away from the rivers? We are thinking of going West towards Live Oak Island or even Panacea. I've seen some pictures of some nice trout and reds out of Panacea, but have never fished down in that area. Is there a good public boat ramp down there? I'm new to this site, but have found it pretty useful so far. One more question, do I need a leader on a super spook or can I just tie it on? I know I sound like fresh meat on here, but we don't really know what the heck we are doing and are trying to get good at it with a little help from some people who know better than we do. Thanks fellas.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Tips, Tricks?

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IT WILL CONTINUE TO BE ROUGH FISHIN UNTILL THE WATER CLEARS UP. IT DOES SEEM TTO ME ALSO THAT THERE JUST ARE NOT MANY FISH IN OUR AREA RIGHT NOW, HOPEFULLY THINGS WILL IMPROVE WHEN ALL OF THIS FRESH WATER GETS OUT OF HERE.
PA :smt006 salute1 salute2 salute3
FUTCHCAIRO
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Flatsfan, went out of Econfina on Sunday and my personal observations (for whatever they are worth) are that:

1) You would do good to get a bit deep and away from the river mouths if targeting trout, and

2) redfish must be much more tolerant of the freshwater. Had a good redfish day on Sunday despite the recent freshwater dumps (actually love the way the water stains the Econfina reds a dark bronze color :smt007).

Didn't catch an insane amount of trout but they ARE out there. While we caught no trout in 1-3' waters near the Econfina mouth we did catch trout from 5' to 10' and marked a good many fish on the fish finder too. Also saw good bait schools out in the deeper water. Caught double digit reds in very shallow water on oysters against the shoreline. You might get a couple of people debating me on strategy, but if you know where some good oyster bars aare pull quietly and carefully up to them until you're within your farthest casting distance and chunk 1/2 ounce gold spoons along the bar perimeter. You can also float shrimp under a cajun thunder along the bar but unlike with trout I don't pop the thunder but let it silently drift. Hit enough bars and you should pick up some reds. Somtimes you'll find one or two at your favorite bar, and sometimes they'll be loaded up and give you double digits. Just have to get out there and figure 'em out! :thumbup: :D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Come to the next North Florida Gulf Fishing Club meeting to find out about flats fishing from Keaton Beach to St. Joe Bay.
Most of our members have gained an enormous amount of information by participating in the monthly club tournaments also.
If we can teach Bad Behavior, Cairo Trout and CaseyCook to catch fish, we can teach you too.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Shell Point boat ramp is currently closed and the best boat ramp in Panacea, off Rock Landing Rd, is also currently closed. Those were the best public ramps for the areas you mentioned. Right now, I guess you've got the dirt ramp on Bottoms Rd. That's fine depending on what kind of boat you've got. Watch getting from the ramp to the channel, it's shallow. On the leader question, I guess it would depend on what your main line is? I tie on a flouro leader if I'm throwing braid. Tie straight to lure if I'm throwing mono. To each their own.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
flatsfan

Post by flatsfan »

Thanks a ton for the tips guys. I'm really just happy to be out on the water most days, but it would be nice to put a few fish in the boat. I appreciate all the tips and hopefully I'll be able to put up some good pics next week.
blue22

Post by blue22 »

I'm not new to reading the forum, but this is my first post. I've been wondering the same things. I'd like to know for the reds are we better off getting into some of the coves like big cove or stoney bayou around st marks right now, or heading to some of the the oyster bars. I know theres alot of the bars in front of the east river, is that a good spot? I'm a little scared of the rock garden being new to the area, but like flatsfan I want to put some in the boat. Any advice is appreciated.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

In my opinion, if you are withing casting distance to spartina grass, you are in redfish haunts. Put spartina grass and any other form of cover into the mix such as rocks, creek mouths, oysterbars and you will be ahead of the game.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Right now the reds are thick as thieves. Can't tell you exactly where to go ;-) but can tell you that you want to be as shallow as your boat will alow. This Saturday we have a morning tide that isn't the greatest (mid tide as the Sun rises) but should still be low enough to look for tails. East is a good area. If you get out there first thing in the morning, kill your motor and just wait and watch. Blind casting on low tide conditions is good, but it can also spook skiddish fish. Watch and slowly trolling motor around give it 20mins without casting JUST LOOKING.....you might just be surprised. :thumbup:

Oh, leader if throwing braid and straight to the plug if using mono. I fish 12lb Big Game. Good luck! You bet your arse I'll be out there watching the sunrise in less than a foot of water. Can't wait! :-D
flatsfan

Post by flatsfan »

Thanks captkeyser, those are the tips I'm looking for. I can't go until middle of next week because of work, and we aren't getting out until about 1300. I know this isn't prime time for reds, but is there any change in tactics I need for that time of day? Can I still find them around oyster bars? I've seen some posts saying that the bite can turn on for trout late in the day.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Time of day really doesn't affect the reds, it is the tide that matters most when targeting tailing fish. If the tide is too high tails can't be seen. As the tide comes in then hammer the shorlines, oyster bars, grass points, etc.

Numbers of trout have been caught in deeper water, but your "Gators" will still reside in the shallows.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

captkeyser wrote:Time of day really doesn't affect the reds, it is the tide that matters most when targeting tailing fish.
What he said :thumbup: Have caught reds all hours of the day when the water is moving... I tend to fish for pins/bait when the tide goes DEAD slack as it makes a huge impact on the bite for most all the game fish. The double digit redfish catch I mentioned in my first reply was caught just after noon on a rising tide, and the bite was good UNTIL water stopped moving.

BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
blue22

Post by blue22 »

ok fellers, today's the day heading down to st marks going to put the boat in at 2 anything you would go to first?