Yamaha power tilt

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Yamaha power tilt

Post by Sir reel »

I have a 1998 75hp Yamaha. Over the weekend, I noticed my power tilt is act'n a bit funny. :roll: When I bring it all the way up to the limit and then hit the switch to go back down the electric motor clicks (sort of like a starter with a low battery). If I keep click'n it.. I can see the motor drop just ever so slightly and if I keep it up 5 or 6 times it eventually runs and the motor goes down just fine. Know very little about the system. If any body has some experience let me know. Don't know if it is hydraulic or electrical in nature but need to start educating myself on it.
Would appreciate any tips on how to go about determining the hows and whats in checking it out. Thanks. :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sounds like the sylnoid "SP" has gone out, there are two of them, one ta raise it and one ta lower it. It is an easy and relatively inexpensive fix, you can get one from the parts house cheaper than a boat shop also :thumbup: just take the old one with you and if you can afford it, get two and replace them both. They are probably under the engine cowling, get someone ta click it while you find it :D

PS: If you want to verify that it is bad, you can switch them with one another and it should work fine :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”