Mother's Day Yaking

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishWithChris

Mother's Day Yaking

Post by FishWithChris »

After shore fishing for the past year and a half and almost blowing the motor in the first 20 minutes (bad fuel bladders, new ethanol b.s.), I got in touch with Georgia and Jessy at The Wilderness Way in Crawfordville off Shadeville Road. $30bucks for two Hobie Quest sit on top yaks, paddles, pfds, seats, etc... was a great deal

Leaving the truck in town, we took the car and loaded them up:

We got some live skrimp at Crums, and we already had enough cut-bait, squid, etc... from the past few trips. We decided we would go down and put in at SnS over at AH for our first time out. Having never fished on yaks before, it was quite interesting. We rigged up and took a look at them, and then looked at each other, only to be ready to flip several times. We netted a few bait fish, bucketed them, and set out. The winds had calmed down and were around 5-7 with 6" chop throughout. we caught the end of slack tied and paddled around the harbor trying the grass/sand flats and even in the channel way.

1 cajun thunder and 1 poppin' cork out in the water, capt mikes gold spoon and a skitterwalk were our choices of ammunition for the first half of the day. Both the CT and the Pcork dove down hard, both producing trout bites. We both got a bit too excited. I got twisted in my other line, started reeling and knotted myself bad. I lost my floating pliers and they drift off and I lose my trout. My buddy Zach, in the other yakity-yak, got uber excited as the trout jumbed (looked to be about 19-20") and said a few choice words during his flight and got rid of the not-so-perfect-that-day circle hook.

We kept going and tried a few different things, produced a heck of a lot of cats and even a 18" bonehead shark.

After a few hours of paddling, drifting, yelling, screaming, and getting barbed, we decided to try Bald Point. We put in at the state park and popped on the outer banks of the oyster beds. Threw on a live 3-4" blue crab and let him wonder around. I see my buddy's pole bend in half and yell at him, he drops his other rod and I grab it, and he starts reeling. We had no idea what it was until that head surfaced and I screamed like a school girl. It was one of the largest reds we have caught to date. We didn't get an official weigh, but it was substantially over 6lbs. AND at a whopping 26"

We eventually made our way in around 8p and headed back to town and NOM'd down on that beast. mmmmm tasty. The only keeper of the day, but for the first time out on some kayaks, we had the time of our lives fishing.

Sorry for the novel and cell-phone pics. We had a lot more, but the camera is hiding somewhere right now
Last edited by FishWithChris on May 15th, 2009, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Re: Mother's Day Yaking

Post by whitebc »

Good trip and a heck of a fish :thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Sounds like ya'll had a great trip. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
TheBeerGuy

Post by TheBeerGuy »

That was a great day of fishing Chris.. as usual. I think we did pretty good considering it was our first time on a kayak. I am officially in love with it. :D That may have to do with the 26" red (above) haha. My biggest to date and hopefully I can match or beat it in the future.
Need draft equipment, home brew supplies, craft/micro brews, or even a kegerator? Check us out http://www.beertoyou.com or 850-386-BEER(2337)
TheBeerGuy

Post by TheBeerGuy »

Here are a few more pics from the yak trip..

Need draft equipment, home brew supplies, craft/micro brews, or even a kegerator? Check us out http://www.beertoyou.com or 850-386-BEER(2337)